Oil & Fuel Tried to Change Hydro Filters Today Whoa...Tight!

/ Tried to Change Hydro Filters Today Whoa...Tight! #1  

rmorey

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST Cab, Mechron 2200
51 hours, time to do the "50".

Drained the engine oil, wiped off the drain caps and reinstalled. Filter wrench on ol filter and...slowly it begins to turn. Good, Smear some oil on the new filter rubber and spin it on, hand tight, then a little twist with the wrench for good measure. Wipe up the drips.

Now for the hydro filters. HST filter on one side, Hydraulic filter on the other. No problem....HA! Tried everything, nothing doing. They must have put the filters on before painting the block. Called the dealer, he suggested "grunting" LOL! After his chuckling ended, he then suggested large channel locks. What do you suggest?

/ Tried to Change Hydro Filters Today Whoa...Tight! #2  
A big screwdriver popped thru the filter or chain wrench.

/ Tried to Change Hydro Filters Today Whoa...Tight!
A big screwdriver popped thru the filter or chain wrench.

Thought of the screwdriver, but if it didn't work, I'm "screwed". (no pun intended) :laughing:

/ Tried to Change Hydro Filters Today Whoa...Tight! #4  
There are plenty of threads on this but a strap wrench will do

/ Tried to Change Hydro Filters Today Whoa...Tight! #5  
On my 50 hour service I ended up using 2 filter wrenchs one up near the block and the other at the outer edge of the filter. It worked but it was not pretty. :thumbsup:

/ Tried to Change Hydro Filters Today Whoa...Tight! #7  
I too had to use a strap wrench with a one inch rubber belt. I kept it close to the end, trying not to crush the filter just in case it didn't work. After the first time, they come off normally.

/ Tried to Change Hydro Filters Today Whoa...Tight! #8  
Try the channelok 209 9-1/2" or channelok 212 4-1/4" filter wrench depending on your filter size. Removed the hyrdo filter on my Dk55 .

wrench.jpg

/ Tried to Change Hydro Filters Today Whoa...Tight! #9  
Vice grips with chain.

I have VGs built that way, but regular VG+chain works too. Wrap as much chain as you can around the filter, to distribute the load, clamp tight with VG, then give 'er.

Don't get too carried away tightening filters with wrenches, as that can distort the base gasket on some filters. I always just hand tighten and (knock wood) never have an issue.

I mentioned chain/VG first because you may have them lying around. I also like the type that you use with a ratchet on the end of the filter, like this one, and also the style that has two C shaped arms - I have both.

Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench | Princess Auto

Let us know what works.

Rgds, D.

/ Tried to Change Hydro Filters Today Whoa...Tight! #10  
What the dealer said - mine are my weapon of choice