DK45SE HST FRONT AXLE OIL

/ DK45SE HST FRONT AXLE OIL #1  

grm61

Platinum Member
Tractor
2013 Kioti DK45SE HST Cab
So I'm going over my tractor, I have twelve hours on it..Curious I pull the fill plug on the front axle, and dip a zip tie down the hole to see what kind of oil is in it, and it appears to be a hydraulic or tractor fluid in the front axle..

I half panic, expecting a 80/90 gear oil up front, so I get the book, but I really can't understand it, it says BP tractran uth and then under that it says oil, 1.9 gal SAE 90 or better or same as T/M oil...I'm guessing T/M means transmission?

So I'm really not clear on what is supposed to be in it.....

/ DK45SE HST FRONT AXLE OIL #2  
You can use either one.
I believe they come with hydraulic/transmission oil in them.
I run 80/90 gear oil in my front axle

/ DK45SE HST FRONT AXLE OIL #3  
   / DK45SE HST FRONT AXLE OIL #4  
Yeah,I noticed the same thing on my DK40,I emailed Kioti and the said what the others are saying.I went with tractor fluid because that is what the factory puts in and also because I hate the smell of gear oil....YUK!!

/ DK45SE HST FRONT AXLE OIL #5  
The reason they are filled with UTF is for convenience on assembly line. Running 75W90 full syn in ours.

/ DK45SE HST FRONT AXLE OIL
I wonder... if that seal ever goes bad at the front axle, if you could wind up with 80/90 in the hydrostat through that torque tube or whatever it is. I don't have a parts or service manual yet so I don't know whats in there.

Last edited:
   / DK45SE HST FRONT AXLE OIL
   / DK45SE HST FRONT AXLE OIL #8  
I wonder... if that seal ever goes bad at the front axle, if you could wind up with 80/90 in the hydrostat through that torque tube or whatever it is. I don't have a parts or service manual yet so I don't know whats in there.
I'm assuming your talking about the front drive shaft.
The answer is no. Gear oil will not get in the transmission oil.

/ DK45SE HST FRONT AXLE OIL #9  
The reason they are filled with UTF is for convenience on assembly line. Running 75W90 full syn in ours.
IMHO if you are ok with UTF in the rear transaxle (where all the heavy lifting is going on)why is it such an upgrade to put gear oil in the intermittent use front diff.? seems to be a "feel good" thing...Mike.

/ DK45SE HST FRONT AXLE OIL #10  
IMHO if you are ok with UTF in the rear transaxle (where all the heavy lifting is going on)why is it such an upgrade to put gear oil in the intermittent use front diff.? seems to be a "feel good" thing...Mike.

Maybe being a heavier grade? Got me thinking now!! ;)