Advice needed for road travel while pulling a trailer

/ Advice needed for road travel while pulling a trailer #1  

kiotiken

Veteran Member
Tractor
2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab
OK, I'm very seriously considering taking my DK45 on a little road trip this weekend and would like any opinions or advice.

We recently finished a kitchen reno. While we were looking for the counter tops, we were having trouble choosing the granite so my "granite guy" sent me to one last place to look. When I got there, the place was empty, but I noticed some people behind the building, so I went back to talk and asked if they'd moved. It was actually one of the neighbors who told me the granite people did a midnight move a few months ago and the owners of the building were desperate to get rid of the remaining granite because new tenants were coming in. So last week, I went back and talked to the owner of the building who told me I could take it all, including the large steel frame, for $200. Even though our kitchen is done, I have plenty of projects for it floating in my head like a new kitchen table, counter top at the cottage and a BBQ zone on my deck so I don't have to move the BBQ away from the house. I LOVE natural stone, and can't wait to cook up plenty more projects given the huge amount of stone I'll have kicking around. Plus, once it's done, I'll convert the rack to a steel and wood holder which will be worth the $200 alone.

So, my neighbour is letting me borrow his trailer and was originally going to help me with his truck. He's not available anymore so I've decided to pull the trailer with my tractor. I'd estimate the trailer is near 2000# and I'll take a guess at about 3000# - 4000# for all the granite and that's way past what I can pull with my wifes van (3500# tow cap.). I'd also like to take my time loading the granite with no pressure and I'm worried the small forklift the building owner has won't have enough reach to place the granite on the center of the trailer. My tractor should be just about perfect for the job BUT I have a few concerns that I'd like opinions on.

1) It's 27 KM (16.5 miles) each way, but it's all paved. My tractor is a 2012 DK45 HST with 110 hrs. It's about 4hrs past due for an oil change and there's NO way I'll be able to get that done before leaving Sat. morning.
2) The trip will take approx 1.25 hrs each way and it's supposed to be around 30C (86F) on Sat, MUCH hotter on the asphalt I'm sure. I will leave as early as possible to beat the heat, but it depends on when they'll be there to open the gate. I worry I'm pushing my tractor hard on a fairly hot day.
3) The trailer has a pintle hitch so I'll have to use a hitch receiver on my 3pt hitch instead of the draw bar. No idea what the tongue weight will be, I'm more concerned about the stress on 3pt from towing approx. 5000# - 6000#
4) My tractor is HST. I only have 1 large hill to worry about going down with the full load and one with just the trailer. Should I stop and use 4 X 4? Will the HST be enough to keep it under control? Are the breaks going to be enough for an emergency stop either on the hill or on the road?
5) Does my tractor have a tow rating?

One piece of granite weighs about 1000# on it's own and I'll be lifting it from above using a sling. Since I'll be pulling a trailer, I won't have anything other than my loaded tires for ballast. It's a paved lot, which helps, but I'll be at full or near full height to lift it on to the trailer, so it should be "interesting".

So, anybody have anything I should keep in mind, any reason I shouldn't do it or any concerns about my tractors ability to do the job? I love granite, but it's not worth destroying my tractor or getting myself killed over. I will definitely be wearing my seat belt for this ride!

/ Advice needed for road travel while pulling a trailer #2  
I think your 3 point can handle the weight, just go easy. I would not worry about the oil thing at all. The heat should not be an issue either, as I have brush hogged and hayed in 100 degree heat. Yes used the 4x4 anytime when going down a hill with a heavy load and I speak from experience. The HSt will keep it under control, but in 2wd it can be dang scary especially on gravel. I don't know the tow rating, but my Ck30 pulled out a full sized Chev pick up that had run off the road and was vertical 40' down a steep incline...didn't even grunt.

My biggest concern is the lift without ballast. 1K will be interesting for sure. I think I would throw a counter weight on the trailer just in case or your trip may be for naught. Place the trailer and approach on dead level ground and before you leave top off your front tire air pressure to max. Sling the thing back at the pins, not out on the bucket or forks, low range go slow and easy.

Sounds like something I would do.....a scavenger at heart{cough}/dumpster diver..........post up some pic's!

/ Advice needed for road travel while pulling a trailer #3  
I'd be most concerned about lack of braking on the trailer. That will be a heavy load that will try to push the tractor on any type of grade. The other concern would be towing off the 3pt arms. Remember the arms do not lock in one position so they can float up as the grade changes.

MarkV

/ Advice needed for road travel while pulling a trailer
I think your 3 point can handle the weight, just go easy. I would not worry about the oil thing at all. The heat should not be an issue either, as I have brush hogged and hayed in 100 degree heat. Yes used the 4x4 anytime when going down a hill with a heavy load and I speak from experience. The HSt will keep it under control, but in 2wd it can be dang scary especially on gravel. I don't know the tow rating, but my Ck30 pulled out a full sized Chev pick up that had run off the road and was vertical 40' down a steep incline...didn't even grunt.

My biggest concern is the lift without ballast. 1K will be interesting for sure. I think I would throw a counter weight on the trailer just in case or your trip may be for naught. Place the trailer and approach on dead level ground and before you leave top off your front tire air pressure to max. Sling the thing back at the pins, not out on the bucket or forks, low range go slow and easy.

Sounds like something I would do.....a scavenger at heart{cough}/dumpster diver..........post up some pic's!

Well, I'd love to throw the box blade or blower on the trailer to use as ballast, but I've decided to build my own wood "A" frame on the trailer so I can move granite directly from the steel frame to the trailer and I also want to bring my pallet forks in case I need them. After loading up the granite, I'll need space for the steel "A" frame as well as the pallet forks so I just don't think I'll have room for anything else.

I'd be most concerned about lack of braking on the trailer. That will be a heavy load that will try to push the tractor on any type of grade. The other concern would be towing off the 3pt arms. Remember the arms do not lock in one position so they can float up as the grade changes.

MarkV

hmm, now you have me concerned. That's a very good point with the 3pt being able to float up, I can't believe I didn't think about that. That would be a very scary thing to have the trailer slam to the top of the 3pt range while going down the hill. Not having anyway to use the trailer brakes is a big concern of mine although I really don't have any huge hills to come down. I may consider changing my route and going straight through town to say on almost level ground.

/ Advice needed for road travel while pulling a trailer #6  
If the trailer has brakes, you can setup a heavy switch (or a cheap brake controller) to let you manually apply power to them.
If you load the trailer nose heavy lifting the tongue when stopping or going downhill shouldn't be a problem.

Aaron Z

/ Advice needed for road travel while pulling a trailer #7  
Don't use 4x4 on pavement. Will mess up the differential. Slippery surfaces only.

Why not use the van and take several trips? Or rent a truck for a half day? I'd consider it just to avoid the hour plus drive on the tractor.

/ Advice needed for road travel while pulling a trailer #8  
Don't use 4x4 on pavement. Will mess up the differential. Slippery surfaces only.
Why not use the van and take several trips? Or rent a truck for a half day? I'd consider it just to avoid the hour plus drive on the tractor.
Better to risk messing up the diff then slide through a stop sign or run someone over because you cant stop...

Aaron Z

/ Advice needed for road travel while pulling a trailer #9  
Also, a chain from the top link to the drawbar will keep the three point down... but if you raise the lever, you'll destroy something!

If the trailer has brakes, you can setup a heavy switch (or a cheap brake controller) to let you manually apply power to them.
If you load the trailer nose heavy lifting the tongue when stopping or going downhill shouldn't be a problem.

Aaron Z

I'll load the granite at the front of the trailer. As long as I don't have more than about 2500# of tongue weight, the tractor should be fine with that.

I was thinking of stopping at the top of the hill and switching to 4X4 for the hill only. The only real hill is straight with no turns, hopefully that keeps everything turning at the same rate. I'm going to have to think about detouring around that hill now.

Also, a chain from the top link to the drawbar will keep the three point down... but if you raise the lever, you'll destroy something!

I love this idea. I'm building a hitch receiver tonight (been putting it off to long anyway), I'll add a spot to attach a chain to prevent it from running all the way to the top of the 3pt range.