Kioti DK Throttle lubrication with pix

/ Kioti DK Throttle lubrication with pix #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Today I decided to finally get around to lubing the very stiff hand throttle of my DK35se. It was always stiff and not getting any better with age. First challenge is to figure out how to remove the two "clam-shells" of the upper and lower cover around the steering column. The two holes at the top were a little bit of a mystery, as there did not seem to be a bolt or screw in the holes when probed with a screwdriver, all I got was dirt and rust. They seem to just be holes to allow water to get down into to rust the ends of the 10 Millimeter bolts that go in from the bottom. :)

They are part of the manufacturing process of the moulded in imbedded nuts I suppose. Any way you remove the 10 millimeter bolts with a small impact ( I used my Rockwell Thrill on impact mode). They have phillips head crosses in them too but you are not going to get these top two off with a screwdriver for sure as they will be rusted. Note I recommend dropping some lube down those holes at least once a year, I intend to, even though my tractor rarely sits in the ran any more.

After removing all of the bolts, you press in on the bottom on both sides of the top clam shell piece to release some small moulded in catches. You Then unfasten the Molex connector on the left side that contains all of the connections for the Key switch.. I lubed up all of the moving parts. but the main part that did the most good was to apply some Kroil to the top part of the friction washer underneath the piece of metal the throttle handle is welded to. This is put on very tightly with 17 MM nuts in a double nutted fashion and probably with an Impact.

After the Kroil loosened it up a bit, I followed that with some Fluid Film, which is my spray on lube of choice, as it penetrates as a liquid, but forms a grease after a few minutes.

Of course re-assemble (you will enjoy getting everything lined back up) and you are done. Now the throttle is many ft. lbs less torque to operate, but still has enough tension to not vibrate around. Of course this would also be the way you would replace the notorious key switch.. I had a few intermittent contacts at first with the key-switch about 140 hours and over a year ago, when the tractor used to sit out in the rain, But I sprayed some Fluid Film in the switch, and have had no more trouble since then. Of course it doesn't sit out in the rain very often any more either. Thanks for Looking. dscf0542anotated.jpgDSCF0541.JPG

James K0UA

/ Kioti DK Throttle lubrication with pix #2  
Good description James. Maybe you should start a thread with pics of fixes and such, which might get 'stickeyd' for reference for those looking for certain common issue solutions?
We ought to have something like that to use as easy reference...:confused3:

/ Kioti DK Throttle lubrication with pix #3  
Thanks James, that was right on time, I have been dealing with the same issue since day one, I will be out there today to tackle this issue, I don't have any Kroil but do have Fluid Film.
Thanks again for taking the time to detail your experience.
Will apply some dielectric grease to Molex connecter while i'm already there.

/ Kioti DK Throttle lubrication with pix #4  
I didn't lube the friction plate but did take it off to look at it (upper right hand first photo). My problem was that little roller. That throttle lever pin is sliding and trying to turn that roller at the same time. That's why it would hang up at idle. When I would come off idle there was a sticky spot as the pin met that roller. It got so bad I had to hit downward on the throttle lever with the bottom of my fist to break it off idle. Me thinks Kioti should have made that roller out of a piece of Delrin.

/ Kioti DK Throttle lubrication with pix
I didn't lube the friction plate but did take it off to look at it (upper right hand first photo). My problem was that little roller. That throttle lever pin is sliding and trying to turn that roller at the same time. That's why it would hang up at idle. When I would come off idle there was a sticky spot as the pin met that roller. It got so bad I had to hit downward on the throttle lever with the bottom of my fist to break it off idle. Me thinks Kioti should have made that roller out of a piece of Delrin.

Yes I noticed the double movement on the roller too, sliding and rolling. but I pushed the roller back with one hand and tried to operate the throttle with the other, and the source of the majority of the friction with mine was just the "friction washer".. It never was easy to operate when new, and seemed to be getting worse. It took the Kroil to break it loose. I went ahead and shot some Fluid Film down the throttle cable while I was at it. I did that several times. I really noticed how hard the throttle was becoming to operate when I jumped on my BIL's new Kubota the other day and yanked on the throttle, and of course it moved so easily, I had forgotten how easy it should be to operate the throttle. Anyway, all is easy and smooth now.

James K0UA

/ Kioti DK Throttle lubrication with pix #6  
Thanks for the photos and procedure. I will do the same with mine since it has always been a bit harder to operate than I'd like.

/ Kioti DK Throttle lubrication with pix #7  
Good thread James. I agree with CM, it would be good to have an archive of all these little, but important fixes. :thumbsup:

Funny, when they come that way, you assume they are supposed to be that way.

/ Kioti DK Throttle lubrication with pix #8  
I have a Dk45se and did not like the stiffness of the throttle either.I opened up the column and sprayed everything down but did not help at all.I loosened the jam {two nuts on throttle assembly inside the column} nuts up just a fraction so that there is still tension and reset them.Now it is so smooth and holds the throttle with no problem.I recommend this adjustment to anyone with this problem.

/ Kioti DK Throttle lubrication with pix #9  
I have a Dk45se and did not like the stiffness of the throttle either.I opened up the column and sprayed everything down but did not help at all.I loosened the jam {two nuts on throttle assembly inside the column} nuts up just a fraction so that there is still tension and reset them.Now it is so smooth and holds the throttle with no problem.I recommend this adjustment to anyone with this problem.

How did you loosen the double nuts? I can't get mine to budge.

/ Kioti DK Throttle lubrication with pix #10  
I put a wrench on each one and it broke free easily.
Make sure you are turning them in opposite directions. Upper nut turn right bottom turn left.