DK Tool Boxes and Chain Canisters

/ DK Tool Boxes and Chain Canisters #1  

gunmonkeyintl

Silver Member
Tractor
DK40SE HST
I've been out of town more than home lately, but finally got some more seat time working on my road project, and finished my chain and tool storage project this weekend.

photo7.JPGphoto6.JPG
I borrowed the chain can idea from another post on the forum, but expanded on it. Like the other poster, I replaced my plexi kick panels with plywood plates and yolks to hold a PVC pipe, but I made the pipe into removeable canisters. I bent some 5/16" rod into handles, and cut the caps so that they lock into place on the handles. The canisters are held in place with a ratchet sinch, so I can lift off the canister and take the chain to the log without having to wrestle it like a python. I found on my first trip out with them that the mounted canisters also provide a convenient place to hang my helmet and chaps (later pic).

I also mounted a couple tool boxes. I started with a couple holes on the sides of the fenders, below the out-board ROPS bolts:
photo2.JPG

I fitted rubber grommets to keep vibration from wearing the paint at the mounting site:
photo.JPG

I welded up a couple baskets that bolt to the ROPS mount and fenders and hold the deep plastic ammo boxes. My first time out with them, I some miscellaneous tools and my gloves in one, and several bottles of water in the other.
photo3.JPG
photo8.JPG
photo4.JPG

Mounted, the boxes are just narrower than the exposed part of the tire, so I don't have to worry about snagging them on anything that wouldn't be scraping my tire, and I can reach them easily from the seat.
Being removeable has already proven handy, since I don't have to root around for tools in a box up high on the tractor. When I needed to do attach a clevis to my drawbar, I just took the tool box down behind the tractor with me. Too, when it gets hot again, I can throw some ice in with my water and dump it out when I'm done.
It's still not as much on-board storage as I'd like, but it is a step in the right direction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    719.6 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
   / DK Tool Boxes and Chain Canisters #2  
How did you post all your pics upside down? Now my Wife has to hold the Lap Top so I can scroll through them

/ DK Tool Boxes and Chain Canisters #3  
Stand on your head Murph!:laughing:

/ DK Tool Boxes and Chain Canisters
How did you post all your pics upside down? Now my Wife has to hold the Lap Top so I can scroll through them

Sorry about that. I posted from my Iphone, which always does weird things with pictures.
I appreciate the dedication it took to look at them, but I went ahead and edited the post to correct the orientation.

/ DK Tool Boxes and Chain Canisters #5  
I would like to see your chain saw mount.

/ DK Tool Boxes and Chain Canisters #6  
You do nice work!

/ DK Tool Boxes and Chain Canisters #7  
To the OP: What is on the seatback on your DK? Why didn't your hoe come with bigfoot pads installed on the stabilizer feet? Is that not a stock item on the Kioti hoes? If not I strongly suggest looking into them- they came with mine and provide extraordinary gripping of encountered ground surfaces.
Nice work on the storage, and could you try to upright the pics for Murph, please, and me too, and others? Thanks,:thumbsup:

CM

/ DK Tool Boxes and Chain Canisters #8  
Some real nice additions gunmonkey.

/ DK Tool Boxes and Chain Canisters #9  
I would like to see a better way to mount a Saw.

/ DK Tool Boxes and Chain Canisters
To the OP: What is on the seatback on your DK? Why didn't your hoe come with bigfoot pads installed on the stabilizer feet? Is that not a stock item on the Kioti hoes? If not I strongly suggest looking into them- they came with mine and provide extraordinary gripping of encountered ground surfaces.
Nice work on the storage, and could you try to upright the pics for Murph, please, and me too, and others? Thanks,:thumbsup:

CM

On the seat back? There is a spring-loaded pocket on the back that the dealer said is for the manual. I don't keep anything in it, though.

We never discussed any optional stabilizer feet, and the ones that came on mine are exactly as pictured in the parts section of my manual. I'm not sure what grips on my stabilizer feet would do. When I really get on it, the hoe is plenty strong enough to toss the 7500# machine around. Seems like larger feet or teeth wouldn't do much to keep it planted. I'm open to anything, though.