DK50SE HST No Ballast Lifting

/ DK50SE HST No Ballast Lifting #1  

Egbert

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD LX188
Prompted by another forum thread ...

What is the "SAFE" FEL lifting capacity WITHOUT adding rear ballast to the DK50SE HST CAB?

I know I went over that limit a few times - when the rear tires decided to lift instead of the forks - lol. Time to just skip that load and move along.

Last edited:
   / DK50SE HST No Ballast Lifting #2  

What is the "SAFE" FEL lifting capacity WITHOUT adding rear ballast to the DK50SE HST CAB?

I know I went over that limit a few times - when the rear tires decided to lift instead of the forks - lol. Time to just skip that load and move along.

Uhhhhh - a wee bit less than what you just tried :cool:

/ DK50SE HST No Ballast Lifting #3  
Uhhhhh - a wee bit less than what you just tried :cool:

Well what you can lift on a flat concrete floor and move around and have the rear tires on the ground may be nothing like what you could move around on rougher ground with some slope to it. Too many variables here to give a straight up answer. I can tell you this, when my Kioti DK35se was delivered the first thing I did was go to the gravel pile to see what if felt like to lift a bucket load of 0 to 3/4 gravel with nothing on the 3pt... It felt BAD. And that was with loaded tires from the dealer. It is on a slight slope. The tractor would move it, but it felt unstable and "bouncy". I can't imagine what it would have been like without the loaded tires. I realize people try to lift things without loaded tires and with nothing on the 3pt. but I don't reccomend it. That is also why you hear about so many new guys tractors on their side. And old guys that forget the rules too:)

/ DK50SE HST No Ballast Lifting
Certainly, "caution" is always the word of the day :)

I do make it a practice to keep weight close to the ground and rarely run slalom courses with the DK50.

Ballast is in my future but I haven't quite figured out the solution. I'd like to get a HeavyHitch and add 8 70lb suitcase weights. Not a lot of weight, but it would make a huge difference. Biggest problem is finding the weights without having to rob a liquor store for $$$.

I should mention, a welder is also in my future - so I can't really fabricate just yet.

/ DK50SE HST No Ballast Lifting #5  

The safest answer to your question is DON'T lift any load that approaches FEL stated capacity without sufficient counterweight applied to the 3PH. Otherwise you will likely experience laying your tractor over on it's side or worse. The FEL will lift a load to it's rated capacity or to what the relief valve is set to kick off at, which may or may not be the same load.
Loaded tires, surface and grade, and operator skill/judgement are all factors in determining what you ask, so a particular # is not really relevant. And even if one could provide a specific # how would you determine you were at it or above when operating the tractor?

/ DK50SE HST No Ballast Lifting #6  
When using the FEL, weight aft of the rear axle is your front axle's best friend.
I always throw the tiller or box blade on the back if I'm lifting with the front.

/ DK50SE HST No Ballast Lifting #7  
just do a search on ballast on the forum, youll find a lot of DIY... a stock pull bar (50$), 2 iron angle and a 55 gallons drum full of concrete and you can make your own. (can buy portland straight or quickrete add water and voila)

/ DK50SE HST No Ballast Lifting #8  
Prompted by another forum thread ... What is the "SAFE" FEL lifting capacity WITHOUT adding rear ballast to the DK50SE HST CAB? I know I went over that limit a few times - when the rear tires decided to lift instead of the forks - lol. Time to just skip that load and move along.

I'm not one to usually jump up to act as safety police but I gotta say in this case you are flirting with disaster. Please don't do it.

As others have said rear weights do not have to be expensive. Some steel rod, bolts, angle iron and a barrel of concrete and you got a home made heavy counterweight cheap. Don't risk hurting or killing yourself.

/ DK50SE HST No Ballast Lifting #9  
When using the FEL, weight aft of the rear axle is your front axle's best friend.
I always throw the tiller or box blade on the back if I'm lifting with the front.

Important point. Think of the physics. Without ballast the front axle is the pivot point. With something big like a big bush hog or BH mounted behind the rear axle, the pivot point moves aft and takes pressure off the front axles. I always have either a mower or BH or Boxblade mounted when using FEL.

/ DK50SE HST No Ballast Lifting
Just to be clear, I am not "broadly" advocating the operation of the FEL without rear ballast. My question, however, is based upon the premise that a safe, unballasted, operational weight does exist. To contend otherwise would be to accuse the manufacturers of purposeful endangerment. If, in fact, safe operation in the absence of additional equipment is impossible, legislation should be imposed to mandate the inclusion of that equipment with the delivery of any FEL.

Having said all of that, I fully agree the weight is subject to a plethora of environmental factors. Further, it may be the weight could be 10lbs, 100lbs or 10000lbs, depending upon the particular tractor and its specific setup.

Perhaps the question should have been posed in a more clinical fashion ... On a solid and level surface, at a speed of 1 mph, with the FEL equipped with pallet forks and being raised 6 inches from the ground, with no wind and a temperature of 72F on a partly cloudy day, what is the maximum safe limit that may be raised with the FEL sans rear ballast? I guarantee you there IS an answer, otherwise a case of gross negligence exists and some manufacturer is eventually going to be massively and successfully sued.

Just my 2 cents and I realize your mileage may vary :)