CK30 Steering brakes

/ CK30 Steering brakes #1  

toyfarm

Tractor
2013 Kubota B3200
Have a BX25 my last 4 tractors have been Kubotas with a couple John Deeres previous to that! I have not seen a B3200 in person but that is roughly what
i am looking for! Had an L3130 before it was too big, The BX is too small! Anyway on with my question stopped at a Kioti dealer today and was checking them out when i noticed the cutter (steer) brakes are on the same side as the directional pedals! I have no idea if they are this way on Kubotas or any other brand, but how in the heck are you supposed to use them if they are on the same side?

/ CK30 Steering brakes #2  
You are not alone in your though process. I bought the manual CK20S. Great tractor.

/ CK30 Steering brakes #3  
I don't think the manufacturers (any of them) even thought that you would use them for anything but stopping. It is quite tricky to cross foot and use the steering brakes on my B26 Kubota. I have heard that some tractors now have the steering brakes on the left so they can actually be used after some time getting used to them being on the left rather than the right. I understand the reason for the go pedal being on the right- keeps you from stepping on it when getting on from the left side, but practically it should have been on the left like the clutch for gear and brakes on the right.
Many tractors engines die if you leave the seat while in gear so it wouldn't have been an issue putting the HST go pedal on the left, however my B26 doesn't die when leaving the seat as long as the HST pedal isn't pressed. It will move a bit also before dying if you press the pedal when not in the seat, delayed reaction of a couple seconds and tractor will move a few feet in that time. It also cranks with the HST range selector in any gear as long as the go pedal is not depressed which I like not having to shift to N all the time like NH boomer tractors. BIL stalled the engine on his while punching up a burning brush pile and I thought the paint was going to peel off before he could get it into N (hydraulic pressure on the HST had to bleed off before he could shift), crank it and shift into gear.

/ CK30 Steering brakes #4  
They're supposed to be used with a gear trans. plowing a field. The manual on my CK30 HST actually said not to separate the pedals and they were bolted together. I never tried to unbolt them and see if they actually worked as steering brakes. On my DK, there is a two pedal set up for the HST on the right and a two brake set up on the left. The pedals aren't bolted, there's just a little metal retainer that flips to allow you to use the brake pedals independently and there's even an indicator light that shows up on the dash. I love steering brakes for plowing the rink in the winter!

/ CK30 Steering brakes #5  
I have a CK30hst and the brakes are easily separated by a bolt and pin. They will work to steer but it's mute when I don't have two right feet. I can't figure out how to work the drive pedal and one brake at the same time. Steering brakes are great when in snow or mucky stuff but not with this set up.

/ CK30 Steering brakes #6  
On my Kub B9200HST, recently acquired, I am encouraged that its pretty easy to lean over and operate the split brakes with my right hand when needed. Probably not as easy on the larger HSTs. Kub is putting out new HST models with brakes on left.
larry

/ CK30 Steering brakes #7  
...The manual on my CK30 HST actually said not to separate the pedals and they were bolted together. I never tried to unbolt them and see if they actually worked as steering brakes. ...

Same deal with the Bobcat CT230. Steers just fine with the front tires anyway.

/ CK30 Steering brakes #8  

Ya, but a lot more fun in the snow and ice with the steering brakes!

/ CK30 Steering brakes #9  
They're supposed to be used with a gear trans. plowing a field. The manual on my CK30 HST actually said not to separate the pedals and they were bolted together. I never tried to unbolt them and see if they actually worked as steering brakes. On my DK, there is a two pedal set up for the HST on the right and a two brake set up on the left. The pedals aren't bolted, there's just a little metal retainer that flips to allow you to use the brake pedals independently and there's even an indicator light that shows up on the dash. I love steering brakes for plowing the rink in the winter!

Not ever using them will prevent you from experiencing their value and will guaranty that you will always operate at a handicap.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/208720-dual-brakes-hst-tractor.html

/ CK30 Steering brakes #10  
I have a DK45S. The only time I have unlatched the left and right brake pedals is to adjust the brake pedal free play (part of each 100 hour service). I understand that I can pivot on a rear wheel but I never found that necessary (or desirable). I probably mow more than anything else and locked-wheel turns don't improve the lawn. I can see the value of a locked-wheel pivot in agriculture where you want to start end end each course as close to the edge of the field as possible, but that's not my need.