Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure
Any ballpark number on what Conestoga charges for the repair to the IP? I haven't had a problem myself but assuming someone with moderate mechanical skills could remove and reinstall the IP themselves, it would be a very nice option.

Go to the spreadsheet link in the top sticky post. There you'll find links to many owner reports on their IP problems and solutions. The tutorial by 2881neches is outstanding and was a lot of work for him to produce. There are reports from owners that just bought parts from Conestoga as well as complete repairs by Conestoga and other local Diesel IP shops. Most owners reported their IP repair costs but a few hundred $$ is ballpark; be sure to read the footnotes. IP removal and replacement is definitely within the capability of a moderately-skilled owner.

Last edited:
   / Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #12  
Thanks guys. I don't need it yet but nice to know what the options are.

Over on the Bobcat forum, brotsten reports buying three new gears for his CT235 injection pump from H&H Diesel for $52 (delivered). He said the DIY job took about 6 leisurely hours and he posted photos there.

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #14  
Thanks for all the great information. I just did this repair on my CT230 and followed the instructions from 2881neches. The area I did differently was that I never completely removed the control rack. I always left at least on control sleeve engaged with the rack so that I didn't loose the orientation. One gear tooth was broken but it was right at the end of travel and the control sleeve worked fine without it. The entire job took me about 4 hours. Total cost $0.00. 0805161047.jpg

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #15  
Cool. Curious what your running symptoms were when you decided to do the repair? Where did you get the parts? What were the hours on your CT when it broke?
Thanks,

CM

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #16  
Well here it is, Dec 2017 and I'm pretty sure my injector pump just crapped out. My tractor is a 2006 CK30, 700+hrs. Just talked to a mechanic and he has done a couple at his shop, one on a 30 and one on a CK40, both were sent out to a local shop for repair at around $600-700 to rebuild. Not sure if i will tackle this yet or not. I was just hooking up to my plow to bring it to the garage for repairs when it crapped out. I had it running long enough get the loader off before it ran away at which point I put it in high gear and jammed the brake then stalled it.

Steve

Steve.
Recommend you start a new thread. This thread is quite old and, frankly, I should rewrite the whole sticky post. We have learned a lot since my original post.
It sounds like your IP rack is jammed forward at a high power position, typically caused by a broken gear tooth.
If you are interested, it is easy to check for a jammed IP rack by removing the oil fill plate and checking for smooth rack movement (with the key on or the stop solenoid removed). The rack is spring loaded to the forward position and it has a pin that rests on the governor arm. The stop solenoid is supposed to push the rack full aft when you turn the key off. Forward is max fuel and aft is min fuel.
The IP does not need to be re-calibrated after replacing one or more of the gears providing all other parts go back in their original locations. Just replacing one or all gears should cost much less than $600-700 unless that includes much labor to R&R the IP. If you go to the linked table in my original post you will find parts sources as well as many owners who fixed their IP DIY.
Scott

Last edited:
   / Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #18  
Will do later, just got up and running with a couple little snags, tidbits, whatever you want to call them. Took a few pics on the iPhone, will see how they look when posted.

Steve

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #19  
As this sticky thread seems the most relevant place to post, here's yet another injector pump failure story (abridged version).

2006 Dk45SC 2200 hours:
Started having starting problems first, occasionally requiring 2-3 turns of the key before fuel would flow. Suspected a relay issue.
A few days ago, after starting just fine numerous times that morning, it suddenly runs away on start up. Fortunately my tractor is a mechanical shuttle shift version so I was able to stall it by putting it into 4H and easing out the clutch while standing on the brakes.
Got on to TBN and reviewed all the relevant threads including this one and found my way to 2881neches tutorial page.

The tutorial is excellent and the procedure was the same for my four cylinder. i went with 180 degree rotation of the gears for now but believe I will be able to source parts if need be. With a spotlessly clean workbench and some patience, this is not a difficult repair for a DIY guy.

The local Kioti dealer quoted me $2020 CAD for a new pump, approx $700 for a rebuild, plus labour and float charges! Thank you to TBN, ritcheyvs and 2881neches for doing such a great job documenting this Kioti issue....total cost$10 for a new manifold gasket!

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #20  
As this sticky thread seems the most relevant place to post, here's yet another injector pump failure story (abridged version).

2006 Dk45SC 2200 hours:
Started having starting problems first, occasionally requiring 2-3 turns of the key before fuel would flow. Suspected a relay issue.
A few days ago, after starting just fine numerous times that morning, it suddenly runs away on start up. Fortunately my tractor is a mechanical shuttle shift version so I was able to stall it by putting it into 4H and easing out the clutch while standing on the brakes.
Got on to TBN and reviewed all the relevant threads including this one and found my way to 2881neches tutorial page.

The tutorial is excellent and the procedure was the same for my four cylinder. i went with 180 degree rotation of the gears for now but believe I will be able to source parts if need be. With a spotlessly clean workbench and some patience, this is not a difficult repair for a DIY guy.

The local Kioti dealer quoted me $2020 CAD for a new pump, approx $700 for a rebuild, plus labour and float charges! Thank you to TBN, ritcheyvs and 2881neches for doing such a great job documenting this Kioti issue....total cost$10 for a new manifold gasket!
$10 vs. $400 for an injection pump guy just to look at it shipped to him!. is a very good deal!..