Electrical issue/?

/ Electrical issue/? #1  

P.L.

I have a 2004 ck 25 with just over 2000 hrs. The tractor has been overall a good machine considering the use it gets, but always seems to have a few minor issues at any given time. One of these issues is that when I press the break pedal the lights for the instrument cluster come on and then go off when released. I am thinking bad ground but not even sure where to start looking. I looked in my repair manual very briefly but it was over all confusing and nothing really jumped out at me. Was wondering if anyone has had this issue and if so any ideas on fixing the issue. It's really not a big deal right now, but I want to fix the issue before it becomes one, plus it annoys me.

/ Electrical issue/? #2  
Well, you need a schematic (for your specific machine), a volt meter (multimeter), a little understanding of DC circuits, and a logical troubleshooting approach. The good news is that these older tractors have simple electrical systems (vs. complex, magic black boxes). The bad news is that ground problems can be confusing and tricky to isolate. My parting advice is to measure twice (or more) and cut once. By that I mean to measure voltages and study the schematic a LOT before tearing into any wire bundles. Also, look for corrosion, which can cause very confusing symptoms, e.g. it looks like things are connected but they aren't because of an insulating layer of oxide.

I just looked at a CK schematic (it's a for 2007 model, but may be similar). I suspect the ground to your rear stop lights is somehow bad (lose, corroded, broken, etc.).

Last edited:
   / Electrical issue/?
Thanks for the reply. I'll start by checking the rear lights like you suggested.

/ Electrical issue/?
Fixed the issue today in about a min, one of the rear break/light bulbs was blown causing the issues. Replaced both bulbs now things are good to go. The worst part is that this has been going on for several months and I knew one of the lights was out but never took the time to put a new bulb in. Thanks for the advice.