Using backhoe on a grade

/ Using backhoe on a grade #1  

KevinMcD

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
I have an '05 CK30HST with a woods backhoe. The backhoe runs off the tractor hydro fluid (rear remotes). I am looking to do some stump removal this year on a driveway I am working on. The grade in a couple of spots I would estimate to be about 15-20 degrees. I am concerned about fluid flow to the hoe on the grade. How should I position the tractor? Should I be in-line with the grade or perpendicular? Is it better for the tractor to face uphill or down hill when using the hoe? Any issues with sustained operation on the grade? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Kevin

/ Using backhoe on a grade #2  
While the tractor should operate on that grade ok, I find that the hoe operates much better when level. For that much slope you would likely have to put the front of the tractor downhill, tilt the FEL bucket all the way down then lower it till the TLB is level front to rear, then put down your stabilizers to level left to right. If the TLB isn't level you will be digging and swinging in a way that starts high then gets low or vice versa which makes it difficult to do accurate work.
I have dug a trench for a water line on a 15 degree slope where I had to parallel the slope and it was difficult to keep the tractor centered with the ditch. The stabs were just able to lift the tractor level by completely lowering the low side so it raised the tractor up level but each time I lowered the stabilizers, the tractor wanted to slide downhill a few inches. After a couple of times, I would have to use the hoe to swing the tractor back uphill which was a PIA. Luckily I only had to dig about 50 feet of ditch on that slope. It was a bit scary just driving across that slope which was enough to make it hard to stay in the seat.