LK3054 Turns over Won't Start

/ LK3054 Turns over Won't Start #1  

kpetten

Hi all,

I have a lk3054 that wont start. It turns over and has fuel to the fuel feed pump. I have removed the lines leading to the injectors and only get drops when turning over. Should there be more fuel feeding the injectors?

I have a shop manual, and in the troubleshooting flow chart, it asks if it's making "fuel injection sounds". I don't know what that means.

Any advise would help.

/ LK3054 Turns over Won't Start #2  
You need to have the injectors connected to the injection pump (IP) to get injection sounds. The IP delivers small amounts of fuel (drops) under very high pressure (2000-3000 psi typical). This pressure forces the injector poppet open to spray fuel into the prechamber. You can reconnect the lines between the IP and injector but the sound of he starter may mask the injection sound. Fuel (or lack thereof) from the IP with no load (injector disconnected) won't tell you anything.

There is a BIG caution here. If you decide to remove an injector and then connect it to the IP and crank (to see if you get spray) be warned that this high-pressure spray can penetrate your skin and make you very ill (or dead).

I recommend you first check the opertion of the stop solenoid and make sure it is not holding the IP rack in the off (no fuel) position when the switch is on. I expect you can hear a loud click (the stop solenoid functioning) when you turn the key on (not crank or preglow) and again going to off if it's working right. Other owners reported a failed relay (one of the ones on the firewall) that prevented stop solenoid operation; this would certainly prevent starting.

/ LK3054 Turns over Won't Start #3  
+1 ^^^^

/ LK3054 Turns over Won't Start #4  
I own an '04, LK3054xs and it has no fuel solenoid; a manual "cable pull" fuel shutoff is used. My 3054 is very hard to start in cold temps so my first thought is glow plugs and are they functioning? The OP's location is unknown, so I don't know if this should be a consideration or not. As to the IP function, I've never loosened a fuel line so have nothing to say about his "drops" of fuel while cranking. Beyond the cold start issue, my 3054 has been a reliable tractor

/ LK3054 Turns over Won't Start
I discovered that mine doesn't have one either. It is an '05. The glow plug are ok ( the wire turns red?), but i did remove the cover that the manual cable shut off is attached and the parts seemed to move back and forth inside with no trouble. I tried her again, and it started. It is colder today than yesterday, and we have had some cold temps here this winter with no issue. Not sure what happened, but I hope the problem doesn't return.

I too have found the tractor to be reliable. Other than regular maintenance, I have only had to replace the hydraulic pump. Great tractor.

/ LK3054 Turns over Won't Start #6  
Sorry for the non-applicable stop solenoid discussion. I am not familiar with the details of the LK models. The electric stop solenoids on the CKs and DKs are fancy but not without problems; there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of a mechanical cable.

It does seem like something may have been sticking in the shutoff linkages or cable. There is also a possibility that the IP rack was sticking internally and your manipulations freed it.

Now that it seems to be working OK, this would be a good time to get the "feel" of the manual shutoff lever on the engine (not the cable). For one thing you may be able to feel if the IP rack moves smoothly or if it seems to catch on something inside the IP. Also, you'll get a baseline "feel" for reference in case you have problems in the future. With the engine not running and the shutoff cable relaxed, the IP rack should be lightly spring-loaded to the full on (max fuel injected) position and you should be able to move it to the full off (no fuel injected) position with the manual shutoff linkage. The rack should move smoothly as you push to overcome the internal IP spring force.

Is there a possibility that water froze inside the cable and jammed it? Beyond that, lets hope the problem remains a mystery, never to return.