Rotary cutter size question for a CK20s HST

/ Rotary cutter size question for a CK20s HST #1  

Pooter

Tractor
Kioti CK20s HST
Anyone know what size rotary cutter is best for the Ck 20s HST 4or5 foot ~one dealer said a 5 foot would work another said stay at 4feet .I am confused planing on getting a new CKS 20 HST and cutter this week ... :confused2:Thanks Jeff

/ Rotary cutter size question for a CK20s HST #2  
IMO, it depends on your intended use. For general mowing, get a bigger light-duty unit. For brush, etc., get a smaller heavier-duty cutter.

/ Rotary cutter size question for a CK20s HST #3  
Anyone know what size rotary cutter is best for the Ck 20s HST 4or5 foot ~one dealer said a 5 foot would work another said stay at 4feet .I am confused planing on getting a new CKS 20 HST and cutter this week ... :confused2:Thanks Jeff

I have a 4' (rotary cutter/brush hog/bush hog) that came with my CK20 when I bought it used, it does a good job though I have not used it much, use the finish mower much more.

Rancho

/ Rotary cutter size question for a CK20s HST
I have a 4' (rotary cutter/brush hog/bush hog) that came with my CK20 when I bought it used, it does a good job though I have not used it much, use the finish mower much more.

Rancho

I will be mostly cutting field brush no yard cutting .. I was told that I needed to get a cutter at least as wide as the back wheels of the tractor if not I would be pushing down field grass making it harder to cut .. A 4 footer would be a little short of that .. And a 5 footer is a little more than a 22 hp ..17at the pto should pull from what I have been told .. Each dealer tells me something different .. Thanks Jeff

/ Rotary cutter size question for a CK20s HST #5  
I pull a 10ft bush hog with a 45 hp tractor and the speeds range from 1 to 5 mph depending on grass height. Yes a 7 ft would be the right size but I am still glad it is 10 ft. 90% of the mowing I can run at 4 mph +

/ Rotary cutter size question for a CK20s HST #6  
And a 5 footer is a little more than a 22 hp ..17at the pto should pull from what I have been told .. Each dealer tells me something different .. Thanks Jeff

Probably depends on the dealers inventory and profit margins.

Rule of thumb is 5 PTO HP per foot of implement so that would be 4'. OTOH, the very first time you cut the field with the 5' it will seem underpowered. But then the maintenance cuts afterwords are easy. Prolly won't even be running at full PTO speed.

Keep in mind a cutter is a lot of ungainly weight hangin' way back there. Perhaps with your, ah, petite tractor you should favor the lighter duty 5 footers? FEL full of dirt wouldn't hurt either.

Bob

/ Rotary cutter size question for a CK20s HST #7  
The reason for getting one as wide as the tracks has little to do with running over grass. You run over everything that gets cut already, cause the bushhog is in the back. The biggest benefit is cause you can mow closer to things like trees and fence rows.

As far as size, provided you can handle the weight, a 5' would be fine, just might have to go a bit slower than with a 4'. Which shouldnt be an issue with the HST trans. But at the end of the day, getting a 5' and going slower vs a 4' and going faster should be able to cut the same amount of area in the same amount of time.

IE: faster with the 4' but cutting less area would be the same as slower with the 5' but cutting more each pass.

Back to the width of the tractors. There are two lines of thought:

1. Go wider so you can mow close to things
2. Go narrower, or just as wide as the tractor, so you dont snag the cutter on things.

I would base my decision on them two alone.

Also, they do make a 54" cutter.

/ Rotary cutter size question for a CK20s HST
Thanks .. You guys are bringing up some good points I hadn't thought about .. I have about 300 acres mostly woodland (some of the best deer hunting land in the state :thumbsup: ) with one small field @ 30 acres. I need a tractor to keep the small field mowed and to keep the roads cleared so I can drive around the property..

/ Rotary cutter size question for a CK20s HST #9  
IMHO.. 17hp is a bit anemic for 5' real cutting. and while you can always take a 4' bite with a 5' mower. a machine with 17 pto hp is going to wear more spinning up a 5' mower.. and a 5' mower will be a hair heavy on a 17pto hp machine.

A ford N.. even a 9n with 23pto hp i'd have no problem on 5' but that ck 20 likely wants a 4' like my yanmar 1700 ran.

/ Rotary cutter size question for a CK20s HST #10  
While the 17HP PTO is a bit weak for a 5' cutter, I dont think the tractor is lacking in the size department. Almost 2200# and a rear lift of 1300#, It should have no issue with the weight of your average 5' cutter.

At a width of 44" with ags, even a 48 would cover. Not sure if you have ags or r4's, but I think a good 54" cutter would be the ticket.