Another can'o worms! 200hr hydro oil change?

/ Another can'o worms! 200hr hydro oil change? #1  

Everhard

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti Ck2510
Ok, ya, I apologize, another can of worms here... So I'm at 200hrs with my ck20s (manual) and according to my manual it says change filter at 200hrs and if I remember right in one part I think it also said do the hydraulic oil as well? (But not in that maintenance schedule graph) I find it odd changing just the filter. I asked the dealer I use and they said change the oil as well.

....So thoughts, opinions?? And yes I did do mine at 50hrs.

Thanks,

E.

/ Another can'o worms! 200hr hydro oil change? #2  
Change both oil and filters. At 150 hours the fluid has done its job.

/ Another can'o worms! 200hr hydro oil change? #3  
I agree with Gary. Besides, it says, you think, to change the oil also AND it can get rather messy trying to change filter only.

/ Another can'o worms! 200hr hydro oil change? #4  
Why not change it once a week?

:D

/ Another can'o worms! 200hr hydro oil change? #5  
IMG_20130922_150416_989.jpg

My Kioti manual says to change the Fluid every 400 hours and the hydraulic and Hydrostatic filters every 200 hours. I did change fluid at 50 hours, but many do not do their first fluid change until 400 hours. I would not change fluid at 200 hours, but I would change the filters and did just that. It is not that big of a deal to change the filters without changing the fluid. I lost about 2 ounces of fluid in the change. I did stop up the tank vent with a machine screw. The prevents air from entering the tank on the top side and helps prevent fluid leaking out the bottom side when you change the hydraulic filter.

The vent on my machine is also the filler hole locaton on the back of the tractor. The plug is a red rubber plug with a shepards crook in the top of it with a hole thru it for air ingress and egress as the fluid level changes dynamically in the tank as the cylinders are operated.

/ Another can'o worms! 200hr hydro oil change? #6  
Gear drive tractors don't see the amount of wear that HST tractors do. I wouldn't change the oil till at least 400 hours unless it is contaminated with water (milky colored). As long as it is clear, it is good to go. Hydraulic oil doesn't get contaminated with metal particles and sulfuric acid like motor oil as the only part to wear is the hydraulic pump gears and they don't wear much. I have seen farm tractors from the 60-70's go thousands of hours without changing the hydraulic oil and most didn't even have a filter. Never did see one with a pump failure. NOW, don't attempt that with the newer tractors but 400 hours is nothing for a gear tractor to need an oil change.

I would bet those of you that changed your oil at 400 hours still had clean and clear oil.

/ Another can'o worms! 200hr hydro oil change? #7  
Gear drive tractors don't see the amount of wear that HST tractors do. I wouldn't change the oil till at least 400 hours unless it is contaminated with water (milky colored). As long as it is clear, it is good to go. Hydraulic oil doesn't get contaminated with metal particles and sulfuric acid like motor oil as the only part to wear is the hydraulic pump gears and they don't wear much. I have seen farm tractors from the 60-70's go thousands of hours without changing the hydraulic oil and most didn't even have a filter. Never did see one with a pump failure. NOW, don't attempt that with the newer tractors but 400 hours is nothing for a gear tractor to need an oil change.

I would bet those of you that changed your oil at 400 hours still had clean and clear oil.

I agree, if it is not a hydrostatic transmission there is a lot less concern about the oil hours. I would still follow the manual, but I would not change before 400 hours for sure. Another thing you could do is have an oil analysis done. This usually cost's about $25 so I have been told.

/ Another can'o worms! 200hr hydro oil change? #8  
If you changed at 50, just do the filter.

/ Another can'o worms! 200hr hydro oil change? #9  
The oil is brand new @ 50 hours. Change the filter.

/ Another can'o worms! 200hr hydro oil change? #10  
Filter only, no need to worry about split fluid, if you follow KOua's method.
I've got nearly 700 hours, with ONLY filter changes, and my HST fluid is clear as water. I use my Kioti backhoe, which draws it's fluids from the HST reservoir, a lot, and work it hard, too.