Oil & Fuel Kioti LB1914 - Hydraulic Fluid... O'Reilly Premium Tractor Fluid?? + 2 other Question

/ Kioti LB1914 - Hydraulic Fluid... O'Reilly Premium Tractor Fluid?? + 2 other Question #1  
Tractor
Kioti LB1914
Hello All,
I'm a Long Time Lurker... but finally decided to join :wave:

I don't mean to open a 'can of worms' or anything, as I know there is a lot of posts concerning this, but none of them really answered my questions on this particular tractor...

I just recently (finally) found a small tractor, in good condition, low hours, and at a decent price, which had what I needed to use on our 30 acre property.
Its 2007 Kioti LB1914 with KL1210 FEL and KB2365 Backhoe.
It had 255 hours on it when I brought it home, I've already put about 8 hours on it in the past few days, using a bushhog.

I am about to go through the entire tractor front to back, Changing All the Fluids (including coolant), Filters, Lubing everything (already done most of the greasing), etc.
This way I know when it was changed, how many hours since, and what is in it.

The only thing I am not sure about is the Hydraulic Fluid... the manual is dated as being printed in 2001... guess they didn't want to spend a couple extra $$ to update it for a 2007 tractor... :muttering: I have found several things in the manual that's not "in-line" with the tractor. Mostly what components looks like or exact locations of grease zerks, etc.

In the Fluid Capacity Table on pg 59, it states this:

Transmission / Differential - 25.4 quarts - Multigrade Transmission Fluid:

Chevron - Tractor hydraulic fluid
Exxon - Torque fluid 56
Mobil - Mobil fluid 350
Pennzoil - Hydra-tranz and wet brake
Quakerstate - Tractor hydraulic
Shell - Donax T-4
Texaco - TDH oil
Union - Hydraulic/tractor fluid
Valvoline - Unitrac

I'm not familiar with any of the fluids the manual lists except for Valvoline Unitrac (which is about $100 a pail :eek:).
What I'm used to is '303' or 'AW 32 or 46'.

So... have most of the fluids it lists in this manual mostly be superseded :confused:
Does this tractor really take Only these 'special' fluids or can others be safely used with no problems?

What do you LB1914 Owners Use?

What would be the good quality fluid thats not $100 a bucket, for this tractor?

I am pretty much out in the sticks here, we are a good ways to any major cities. The towns that are close have limited choices.
There is an O'Reilly Autoparts with-in reasonable driving distance, and they do carry Tractor Fluids, but it is mostly just 'their brand'. And I didn't see any of these other fluids listed as 'comparable' on the pail. And of course the pail info also did not list Kioti either, but it did list the 'other orange' tractor... not that it really means much, as I have seen fluids that was listed for a specific tractor, and it ended up being junk.

So would O'Reilly Oil Premium Tractor Fluid Part # 74209 $53.99 work?

Anyone by chance know who makes O'reillys fluids?
Is it a good fluid or junk?

I also am going to change the fluid and filter in the backhoe. I have read that the same fluid can be used, but I have no idea how much fluid the backhoe uses, as the backhoe manual said "See tractor manual" and the tractor manual doesn't say anything anywhere in it about the backhoe. However, from what I understand you fill the backhoe tank between 2/3 and 3/4 full.

So basically, I'm hoping that two 5 Gallon Buckets will be enough to change the tractor, change the front axle and steering box (as I have read that the same fluid can be used in these as well), and also have enough for the backhoe too.

Lastly, there is two grease zerks on the tractor that no matter what I do, I can't get them to take grease. They are the two zerks on the top side front axle, one on each side. I have pulled the zerks and tried them, and grease flows through them easily. Re-installed them, and Nothing, Nada, Zero grease will go in.

Anyone else had this problem? Suggestions?

All Help and Advice is Much Appreciated!!

/ Kioti LB1914 - Hydraulic Fluid... O'Reilly Premium Tractor Fluid?? + 2 other Question #2  
The O'Reilly stuff may be fine but how can you know? Does the container say what specifications the fluid meets? If not, it's impossible to know (unless you contact the vendor) so I wouldn't use it unless you have some specs, just my opinion. I know, for example, that the Shell Donax is now called Spirax but look carefully at the alphabet soup after the trade name (e.g. Spirax) because almost all Shell moils are called Spirax xxx these days. Do you have a Tractor Supply Store within a reasonable distance? The TSC premium tractor fluid is probably fine. Tractor oil needs to perform four functions: a hydraulic fluid, a gear lubricant, a clutch/brake fluid (if you have wet brakes or clutches), and a preservative that inhibits corrosion and preserves seals and hoses. If you go to the oil company web sites you should be able to find the current equivalent to the listed fluids. But many folks on this list claim the TSC premium stuff is fine. Your owner's manual should show the required fluid capacity. Older tractors used a cheaper fluid which (as I understand it) is not compatible with wet brakes or wet clutches (which the old machines didn't have). Ten gallons was sufficient for my DK45S tranny but the front axle required an additional gallon or two.

I don't have a backhoe so I won't comment on that. I don't have that model so I won't comment on the zerks.

/ Kioti LB1914 - Hydraulic Fluid... O'Reilly Premium Tractor Fluid?? + 2 other Question
The O'Reilly stuff may be fine but how can you know? Does the container say what specifications the fluid meets? If not, it's impossible to know (unless you contact the vendor) so I wouldn't use it unless you have some specs, just my opinion. I know, for example, that the Shell Donax is now called Spirax but look carefully at the alphabet soup after the trade name (e.g. Spirax) because almost all Shell moils are called Spirax xxx these days. Do you have a Tractor Supply Store within a reasonable distance? The TSC premium tractor fluid is probably fine. Tractor oil needs to perform four functions: a hydraulic fluid, a gear lubricant, a clutch/brake fluid (if you have wet brakes or clutches), and a preservative that inhibits corrosion and preserves seals and hoses. If you go to the oil company web sites you should be able to find the current equivalent to the listed fluids. But many folks on this list claim the TSC premium stuff is fine. Your owner's manual should show the required fluid capacity. Older tractors used a cheaper fluid which (as I understand it) is not compatible with wet brakes or wet clutches (which the old machines didn't have). Ten gallons was sufficient for my DK45S tranny but the front axle required an additional gallon or two.

I don't have a backhoe so I won't comment on that. I don't have that model so I won't comment on the zerks.

Hello Ritcheyvs! Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I don't know about the o'reilly stuff. Thats why I asked. O'reilly is about 20-25 miles away, which isn't to bad, as I go to that town about once a week or so. The closest TSC is about 80 miles or so away. There is a local farm store near O'reilly, but they mostly carry 'eXtream' brand, which from what I have been told by a tractor dealer before, is something to stay away from, as they had a lot of customers with multiple hydraulic problems who ran that brand.

And yeah, I know what all the fluid has to do, which is why it has to be a good quality fluid with the right specs and additives. Which is why I want to be sure to get a correct good quality fluid.

I did some research the Spirax you mentioned. After going through a mess of websites, articles, and lists, I found that Shell Donax T4 was superseded by Donax TD 5W-30 Then that also got superseded later on by Shell Spirax S4 TXM.

I tried to find it online, and the only place I found who sold it online was Keller-Heartt Oil for $82.99 a bucket, but I'm not sure if they will ship it. (link Moved Permanently) . Anyway, that's a little better price than I had found before. And I do trust Shell, as I use Rotella-T in all my vehicles, as they are all diesels, and will also use it in this tractor too.

So, I may go this route, IF I can find it somewhere.

~Thanks

/ Kioti LB1914 - Hydraulic Fluid... O'Reilly Premium Tractor Fluid?? + 2 other Question
Well, I did find that Keller-Heartt Oil will ship a case of 1 gallon jugs of Spirax S4 TXM. Moved Permanently
And it is roughly about the same price per gallon as a 5 gallon pail. Gallon jugs easier to pour too. Plus they have free shipping :thumbsup:

Since its free shipping, this will be easier than trying to drive around and find something... that costs a lot of $$ these days.

uhmmm... why do my links say 'Moved Permanently'?
Am I not supposed to post links? :confused:

/ Kioti LB1914 - Hydraulic Fluid... O'Reilly Premium Tractor Fluid?? + 2 other Question #6  
I've changed the hydro fluid in my CK30hst twice so far and have used the Shell Donax TD, was able to get it locally, and it has worked great in Summer and even last Winter's 0'F temps. I'll be getting the Spirax S4 TXM for my next change being that Shell has renamed it and I believe it has all the same properties. If having it shipped to you beats out driving to find oil, then I think that's the way to go. Other members, as mentioned, have used TSC premium hydro fluid with good results. It's normally cheaper than the Shell oil and maybe would save you a few bucks even with the drive.

I've changed the hydro fluid in my CK30hst twice so far and have used the Shell Donax TD, was able to get it locally, and it has worked great in Summer and even last Winter's 0'F temps. I'll be getting the Spirax S4 TXM for my next change being that Shell has renamed it and I believe it has all the same properties. If having it shipped to you beats out driving to find oil, then I think that's the way to go. Other members, as mentioned, have used TSC premium hydro fluid with good results. It's normally cheaper than the Shell oil and maybe would save you a few bucks even with the drive.

Hi VictorW! Thanks for the reply and recommendation of Spirax S4 TXM. I can't find anything that is locally available, so I think I will order the Spirax today.
How many hours do you go between your fluid changes?

Thanks!

/ Kioti LB1914 - Hydraulic Fluid... O'Reilly Premium Tractor Fluid?? + 2 other Question #8  
Hi VictorW! Thanks for the reply and recommendation of Spirax S4 TXM. I can't find anything that is locally available, so I think I will order the Spirax today.
How many hours do you go between your fluid changes?

Thanks!

On our DK series tractors it say 400 hours interval on the fluid changes.. I think your Shell product would be a good safe premium fluid for you to use as it is one of the specified fluids in the manual for my DK35se.

As for the web links, I cant tell you why they say that, but I have seen that before. Anyway your links work just fine.

/ Kioti LB1914 - Hydraulic Fluid... O'Reilly Premium Tractor Fluid?? + 2 other Question #9  
uhmmm... why do my links say 'Moved Permanently'? Am I not supposed to post links?
That is on the website (the hidden page title) you are pointing to, it has nothing to do with you or TractorByNet.

If you 'Go Advanced' or even 'Edit' your post, you will see the link and at the end of it are the words that appear underlined in your post. You can change that to anything you would like. So where it says 'Moved Permanently' you can manually change that to 'Shell Spirax' (purely as an example).

/ Kioti LB1914 - Hydraulic Fluid... O'Reilly Premium Tractor Fluid?? + 2 other Question #10  
I follow the Kioti manual and change fluid at every 400 hours. I do the filters at every 200 hours per the manual also.