DK 40 HST will not start ??

/ DK 40 HST will not start ?? #1  

drjay9051

Gold Member
Morriston, Fl. 40 miles west of Ocala. More cows
Tractor
Kioti DK 40 HST
On my second Kioti. Sold the CK 25 and got a DK40HST. Just over 60 hrs. Did maintanance at 50 and keep it greased and clean.

Went to start it 10 minutes ago and no start. i hear the click (solenoid ?) and all dash lights are good. Horn and blinkers good as well.

The PTO is off. it is in neutral.

Sound like a neutral safety switch problem?

Tractor is under warranty but dealer is 50 miles away and i do not believe warranty covers transport to and from. No trailer and even if i had one cannot drive it onto trailer.

It may be less expensive to buy the switch and self install due to cost of transport. i cannot find any info on Kioti site which states if transport is covered under warranty.

Is there a simple test to see if it is the switch? I do not have multi meter or many tools . I have tried to jiggle shift between gears and neutral positions but no go !

Any thoughts? Yes terminals are clean etc.

/ DK 40 HST will not start ?? #2  
Since you got the "click", I'm still guessing battery or cables. You said the terminals were clean but did you remove the cables and reattach? Are the cable clamps molded on the cable ends or attached by bolts? If bolts, tighten those as well. Did you try to jump the battery or swap with another?

/ DK 40 HST will not start ?? #3  
Probably the ignition switch. Had to have mine replaced at 200 hours. Try jiggling the key in the switch. Which dealer do you use? I usually just rent a trailer, but I know the guy who is now the Ocala dealer (Caldwell) gave me a price of $50 to transport from my place, which is about 20 miles from them.

/ DK 40 HST will not start ??
Since you got the "click", I'm still guessing battery or cables. You said the terminals were clean but did you remove the cables and reattach? Are the cable clamps molded on the cable ends or attached by bolts? If bolts, tighten those as well. Did you try to jump the battery or swap with another?

Terminals clean and tight. Did not try jump (yet). I'd think if battery weak lights or horn ??
I'm trying to learn as i typically fix people not tractors.

Probably the ignition switch. Had to have mine replaced at 200 hours. Try jiggling the key in the switch. Which dealer do you use? I usually just rent a trailer, but I know the guy who is now the Ocala dealer (Caldwell) gave me a price of $50 to transport from my place, which is about 20 miles from them.

Funny. i bought my CK25 from Ron Caldwell. Dealership went to Novia (Joe Moreau) and now back with Ron and Ron JR. Small world.

I did have the ignition swith issue on the CK but that was at 400 hours. Took it apart and learned the hard way that small springs do fly !

I live in Morriston, just south of Williston so transport may be a bit more.

I will go jiggle the switch right now !

No go on the ignition switch jiggle. Good thought however. I imagine even at 60 hrs could be a problem.

I'll likely take it apart anyway and than speak with Ron. He is good guy and i trust him completely.

Just frustrated that I cannot figure it out !!

/ DK 40 HST will not start ?? #7  
just because you have lights, etc doesn't mean that the battery connection is good. Enough 'juice' can jump thru a bad/dirty terminal to light them but not to turn over the starter.

You should either remove/clean them or try to jump from another battery to eliminate it as a problem.

Don't mess with the switch until you've eliminated the potential battery issue.

/ DK 40 HST will not start ?? #8  
Funny. i bought my CK25 from Ron Caldwell. Dealership went to Novia (Joe Moreau) and now back with Ron and Ron JR. Small world.

I did have the ignition swith issue on the CK but that was at 400 hours. Took it apart and learned the hard way that small springs do fly !

I live in Morriston, just south of Williston so transport may be a bit more.

I will go jiggle the switch right now !

I actually bought my DK in Bunnell, but had it serviced at Novia. My first first dealings with Caldwell was when I wanted a 200 service. Ended up they hooked me up with a fellow who did the service out here at the house. Very happy with the job he did.

Gotcha on the small springs stuff. That was my adventure last week when my PTO wouldn't work and I decided to check the switch. Sure works better with all the little springs in the right place on the new switch :eek: Does your key switch have a rubber cover on it? If not, it may not be the new style switch.

Last edited:
just because you have lights, etc doesn't mean that the battery connection is good. Enough 'juice' can jump thru a bad/dirty terminal to light them but not to turn over the starter.

You should either remove/clean them or try to jump from another battery to eliminate it as a problem.

Don't mess with the switch until you've eliminated the potential battery issue.

10-4. Will do tomorrow after work. Time for O'Reilly factor.

/ DK 40 HST will not start ?? #10  
With the solenoid click, I agree it sounds like a battery or cable issue as there may not be enough current available to turn over the starter. It does not take much current to run lights.