Engine shuts down

/ Engine shuts down #1  

MJL

I have a DK40, the ignition switch is starting to give me problems it needs a little jiggle sometimes. But yesterday I hit the brakes and the engine shuts down, has anyone else run into this or are they related?

/ Engine shuts down #2  
Maybe it's just a coincidence. But maybe there is a poor contact (high resistance) in the ignition switch and the brake lights took enough current to drop the voltage at the stop solenoid to the point that solenoid released and stopped fuel injection. That's a guess. What year/model is your tractor? This theory would only apply to the later two versions of the stop solenoid (2005 and later, I think).

If your key switch is getting wonky you might try spraying contact cleaner into the keyhole or disassembling, cleaniong, and reassembling the switch. A new switch is in the vicinity of $100. Switch removal and installation is easy, especiallyu if your switch is on the "dash board" vs the steering column.

/ Engine shuts down #4  
I have a DK40, the ignition switch is starting to give me problems it needs a little jiggle sometimes. But yesterday I hit the brakes and the engine shuts down, has anyone else run into this or are they related?

I sprayed some Fluid Film in mine a couple of years ago and it has worked ever since.

/ Engine shuts down
I sprayed some Fluid Film in mine a couple of years ago and it has worked ever since.

Thanks for the help I'll pick some up.

/ Engine shuts down
Maybe it's just a coincidence. But maybe there is a poor contact (high resistance) in the ignition switch and the brake lights took enough current to drop the voltage at the stop solenoid to the point that solenoid released and stopped fuel injection. That's a guess. What year/model is your tractor? This theory would only apply to the later two versions of the stop solenoid (2005 and later, I think).

If your key switch is getting wonky you might try spraying contact cleaner into the keyhole or disassembling, cleaniong, and reassembling the switch. A new switch is in the vicinity of $100. Switch removal and installation is easy, especiallyu if your switch is on the "dash board" vs the steering column.

My luck, I have the steering column mount. I can't complain all I've done in six years is change filters and fluids.

/ Engine shuts down
Thanks I'm grabbing a cold one to do some research!