Battery Light Slowly comes on as I work - CKHST25

/ Battery Light Slowly comes on as I work - CKHST25 #1  

MTUser

Bronze Member
Tractor starts up fine and all dash lights that should be off are. After a while the battery light comes on very dim at first then a little brighter, but never really light. Would this indicate a charging problem? Is it likely to be the alternator going out slowly? I thought alternators usually just catastrophically failed, putting out zero amps.

I'd welcome ideas on how to troubleshoot besides buying a new alternator.

/ Battery Light Slowly comes on as I work - CKHST25 #2  
Make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight at both ends, If you have a electrical meter check for 12volts at battery off and 14+ volts running. Not knowing how old your tractor and battery is check that the battery water level is correct.

/ Battery Light Slowly comes on as I work - CKHST25 #3  
Along with the above, check the fan belt tension. A lose belt will not let it charge fully.

/ Battery Light Slowly comes on as I work - CKHST25 #4  
Along with the above, check the fan belt tension. A lose belt will not let it charge fully.

And they do need periodic adjustment.

/ Battery Light Slowly comes on as I work - CKHST25
Thanks for all the help. Troubleshooting has revealed I have a bad alternator. It is a Valeo TA000A58101, E7230-64012. Googling shows that these around $400 from Michigan Iron, and $250 or so on eBay and Amazon.

Has anyone had any luck finding them cheaper anywhere else? What about rebuilding them? We have a guy here in Billings, MT who appears to be a whiz at rebuilding alternators and starters so long as the case is not bad. Has anyone had any success getting this model rebuilt?

/ Battery Light Slowly comes on as I work - CKHST25 #6  
first thing to check is the brushes with the symptoms you have ... probably worn down and just need replacing ...

/ Battery Light Slowly comes on as I work - CKHST25 #7  
That brand alternator is used on other equipment besides Kiotis. If the guy knows what he's doing and he can find the needed parts, then it should be fine to rebuild. It may be the brushes as mentioned, the diode trio, or I believe these have a built in regulator. All these are cheaper fixes. If the armature needs re-wound, then that can be more expensive. I'd give him a try.

/ Battery Light Slowly comes on as I work - CKHST25
I pulled the alternator and took it in. I was quoted $90 for new bearings and a regulator. So repair was a much better option than buying new in my case. The only issue is that the parts have to be ordered so, I will be without the tractor for a week or so.