Loader DK45 w KL1470 with bent frame advice

/ DK45 w KL1470 with bent frame advice #1  

Shawn B

Tractor
Kioti DK45
Howdy.

You gentlemen were incredibly helpful last year when I was tractor shopping. I was totally clueless then, and just a tiny bit less clueless now, but please consider me a complete and total newb.

I finally purchased a pre-owned, 400-hour, 2004 DK45 with a 1470 FEL, quick attach, bucket, front hay fork, rear hay fork, all pre-owned from Noonday Tractor in Texas.

It fit all the criteria on what I need directly from the advice of TBN. Love it. Great little tractor. Has done massive work on my 50-acre cattle farm.

I've dealt with some repairs and fixes, friends of mine wrenching and me helping and buying local parts (hoses, fittings, hardware, fluids) but nothing major. I am not a mechanic by any means, but my buddies are very (very) capable.

Now I have something major and need expert advice.

I started snapping the forward bolts, two per side, that hold the FEL to the tractor-belly. The ones right below the air-vent things on each side.

Finally figured out why.

I bent the entire frame of the 1470 loader. Standing in front of the tractor and looking at it, the left arm is twisted a few degrees outward to my left, the arm on that side is also a bit lower (at least an inch) from the right arm. It looks like theoretically the bucket was on the machine, sticking out front, and something huge smacked the bucket from left to right, really hard. Like a T-Rex or something.

We theorize the loader was tweaked when purchased pre-owned, and we aggravated the condition till now. We had to replace one of the pins on the left side (looking at it from the front) almost immediately after purchase.

I called the closest Kioti dealer today, Southern Tractor in Lufkin, TX. Seem like good guys, I've been out there to meet them when I was tractor shopping. The dealer is calling to find out if they still sell the 1470 bare frame only. We could switch all the hydraulics, hardware, and whatnot over ourselves. I don't know the cost yet.

I also looked up the current Kioti FEL for my tractor and it is a KL401.

KL401 Front End Loader | Kioti Tractors

The 1470 rig was certainly working fine for all my purposes. Moved around my 1,100 pound hay bales last winter with no issues, moved dirt all day.

Questions:

Is replacing my 1470 frame, if possible, the best option? My joystick and all hydraulics seem to work A-OK. No leaks, well maintained, fully operational.

Is there a huge difference between a 1470 (with new frame) and a KL401?

If no frame is available, should I stick with Kioti brand on a new FEL? Is there some other-brand better option?

Anybody have a recent price on a KL401?

Pretty much any input, advice, expertise or opinion on "what to do" is welcome. Whomever you are, you know more than I do.

I'll update with IF I can get a 1470 frame-only, and the price as soon as I hear from Southern Tractor.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

/ DK45 w KL1470 with bent frame advice
A new 1470 frame is $1,500.00, approx $500 in freight, and 60-days away across an ocean.

That option doesn't work on time alone.

I also need to double-check my brackets that attach the arm at the top to see if either one is tweaked.

Looks like I need a new FEL. And possible upper bracket-things.

/ DK45 w KL1470 with bent frame advice #3  
You might check with a local body shop that has a frame straightener. They could probably pull it back in shape.

/ DK45 w KL1470 with bent frame advice #4  
You might check with a local body shop that has a frame straightener. They could probably pull it back in shape.

I can't address your specific questions, but I think straightening the current frame has merit if it isn't cracked. Even then, cracks can be welded and/or reinforced in most cases. In addition to a body shop, other places (like a steel-working shop) may have the capability. All solutions require you to dismantle the current loader so fixing the old one isn't extra work. The hard part may be obtaining data for the frame shop to establish the final shape.

/ DK45 w KL1470 with bent frame advice #5  
Frame straightening has merit, but I would never feel totally sure about the loader again, and it would probably be weaker. The structural integrity is compromised now, but it may be the only option. How much is the KL401 and will it even fit the older DK?

/ DK45 w KL1470 with bent frame advice #6  
I think just a loader would be about 3 or 4 grand, but that's just guess since their usually discounted as a package with the tractor.

/ DK45 w KL1470 with bent frame advice #7  
A new 1470 frame is $1,500.00, approx $500 in freight, and 60-days away across an ocean.

That option doesn't work at this time.
Could be wrong, but I thought the older 1470 loaders were US made by KMW (Kansas Machine Works)

/ DK45 w KL1470 with bent frame advice #8  
I have a 06, Kioti 45 and owned a collision repair shop for 30 years. I would not let body shop try to repair loader on tractor. I would be very concerned about motor, case damage. Have you checked mount bolts and rear tire pressure ? It may sound stupid but I had a 1 1/2 drop on my loader to one side most of it was rear tire pressure and lose mounting bolts.
Check e-bay and craigslist sometimes loaders new and used pop up on these sights dirt cheap for older tractors. I have a Woods loader on mine and have never bent even though I miss use it a lot.
Good Luck
Scott

/ DK45 w KL1470 with bent frame advice
I appreciate the input gentlemen.

DK35Vince, same thing I found online about made in the USA, but I am going by what Southern Tractor in Lufkin, TX stated.

I have a 06, Kioti 45 and owned a collision repair shop for 30 years. I would not let body shop try to repair loader on tractor. I would be very concerned about motor, case damage. Have you checked mount bolts and rear tire pressure ? It may sound stupid but I had a 1 1/2 drop on my loader to one side most of it was rear tire pressure and lose mounting bolts.
Check e-bay and craigslist sometimes loaders new and used pop up on these sights dirt cheap for older tractors. I have a Woods loader on mine and have never bent even though I miss use it a lot.
Good Luck
Scott
I'm with Scott here and his expertise and line of reason. I'm not re-using a tweaked frame anything on a tractor.

It is not however the tire pressure or mounting bolts. There is no question on this end that the 1470 frame is tweaked. We've snapped the mounting bolts as mentioned. Replaced them and snapped the new ones. Southern Tractor advised me to just buy grade-8 from the hardware store, said there was nothing fancy about the Kioti bolts.

I'm worried about buying pre-owned on an FEL for obvious reasons, and am pretty sure I am going to buy a new FEL, Kioti and/or OEM equal-or-better quality.

How do I figure out what will or will not mount to my DK45? Is there a reference source on the forum or on-line? Aside from Woods, which I will look at, are there a handful of high-quality name-brand after-market FEL's to which I should direct my attention?

I can google if someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction(s).

/ DK45 w KL1470 with bent frame advice #10  
Not sure, I would talk to Woods and see what they say. FELs are pretty tractor specific, so your only choice might be to bite the bullet and buy a new KL401, if it's compatable, at least then you know what you've got.