Dk50 seh ball joint play

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #12  
On an automobile with rack and pinion type steering they call it an inner tie rod end. Even though it's a ball socket arrangement.

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #13  
It's the whole thing, tie-rod end and ball joint, sold as one piece, with boot included. (It might be possible to adapt a stock ball joint or tie rod end's rubber boot to replace a torn one; when just the rubber boot is damaged/torn, before any grit gets in the joint, in the case of no worn/defective parts).
My right tie rod boot is gone. I cleaned up the entire joint assembly, then wrapped it with Grace Bituthene, then the strong black duct tape, after packing the joint with fresh grease. I just redid the wrap I described because it was falling apart. This time I used a synthetic grass seed bag section, a bunch of grease, the original spring coil ring and spring type clamps to hold the bag from coming loose. I'm going to add another layer of synthetic roofing felt over the whole thing and duct tape the seams and clamp that with cable ties. I refuse to give up $200 to a joint that works, other than missing the rubber boot.:confused3:

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #14  
....., while I had the front end up I noticed both ball joints have play in them.. I can move each wheel side to side........ My tractor has 100 hrs.

There should not be that much play at 100 hrs. Your warranty should be used to replace these and look to see corrective action via the replacement part number.

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #15  
"It's the whole thing, tie-rod end and ball joint, sold as one piece, with boot included. (It might be possible to adapt a stock ball joint or tie rod end's rubber boot to replace a torn one; when just the rubber boot is damaged/torn, before any grit gets in the joint, in the case of no worn/defective parts).
My right tie rod boot is gone. I cleaned up the entire joint assembly, then wrapped it with Grace Bituthene, then the strong black duct tape, after packing the joint with fresh grease. I just redid the wrap I described because it was falling apart. This time I used a synthetic grass seed bag section, a bunch of grease, the original spring coil ring and spring type clamps to hold the bag from coming loose. I'm going to add another layer of synthetic roofing felt over the whole thing and duct tape the seams and clamp that with cable ties. I refuse to give up $200 to a joint that works, other than missing the rubber boot."

Exactly what I would do Coyote Machine

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #16  
"It's the whole thing, tie-rod end and ball joint, sold as one piece, with boot included. (It might be possible to adapt a stock ball joint or tie rod end's rubber boot to replace a torn one; when just the rubber boot is damaged/torn, before any grit gets in the joint, in the case of no worn/defective parts).
My right tie rod boot is gone. I cleaned up the entire joint assembly, then wrapped it with Grace Bituthene, then the strong black duct tape, after packing the joint with fresh grease. I just redid the wrap I described because it was falling apart. This time I used a synthetic grass seed bag section, a bunch of grease, the original spring coil ring and spring type clamps to hold the bag from coming loose. I'm going to add another layer of synthetic roofing felt over the whole thing and duct tape the seams and clamp that with cable ties. I refuse to give up $200 to a joint that works, other than missing the rubber boot."

Exactly what I would do Coyote Machine

Brilliant minds think alike!:laughing:

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play
I just got back my tractor today. Kioti replaced them under warranty. Initially Kioti denied the warranty claiming it is a wear item. Then the dealer persisted and and explained that both are bad and the tractor only has 100 hrs. They then approved it for warranty replacement. The ripped boot did not cause the failure on the one joint since I discovered it immediately and took the tractor out of service. It still seems that this part being at a cost of $210 each should not wear out at 100 hours. Kioti needs to step up the quality of these parts or install a grease fitting at the joint to extend its life ( any ideas on this?) Anyhow, I am a happy Kioti owner since the dealer and Kioti did the right thing.

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #18  
Kioti needs to step up the quality of these parts or install a grease fitting at the joint to extend its life ( any ideas on this?) Anyhow, I am a happy Kioti owner since the dealer and Kioti did the right thing.
If we were seeing this problem more often I would agree.
But this is the first time I recall ever reading about this issue on the steering joints

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #19  
I ripped the small rubber boot on the steering assy that protects the ball joint. I called the dealer for a new one and Kioti does not sell the boot by itself. They only sell the whole ball joint assy. What a joke that is. Anyway, while I had the front end up I noticed both ball joints have play in them.. I can move each wheel side to side. Both sides are the same. I know in the auto world ball joints should have no play. Before I call the dealer I would like to see if any one knows the answer to this. My tractor has 100 hrs.

That sounds like premature wear, but it may not be out of spec.

I tore one of my inner boots, cleaned it up shot grease into it, taped it up, and reinstalled the weird wire retainer.

Then I made better guards to protect that rubber boot.

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #20  
If we were seeing this problem more often I would agree.
But this is the first time I recall ever reading about this issue on the steering joints

I agree with the above. Yes, the outer boots are vulnerable to tearing, and Kioti ought to offer the boot as a separate item, but they choose not to. Such is life. Kioti replaced your parts under warranty, as they should, and now you know what to do and to look for going forward.