Dk50 seh ball joint play

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #1  

liberty2701

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti Dk50se hst
I ripped the small rubber boot on the steering assy that protects the ball joint. I called the dealer for a new one and Kioti does not sell the boot by itself. They only sell the whole ball joint assy. What a joke that is. Anyway, while I had the front end up I noticed both ball joints have play in them.. I can move each wheel side to side. Both sides are the same. I know in the auto world ball joints should have no play. Before I call the dealer I would like to see if any one knows the answer to this. My tractor has 100 hrs.

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #2  
Since when are tie rods boots sold separately?

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play
Since when are tie rods boots sold separately?

Let me make it a little clearer. It is the ball joint not tie rod that is bad. The tie rod is outer the ball joint is inner. The boot covering it is like a cv boot on a car. I had it off in 5 minutes. It should be a separate part being it is susceptible to damage just like a cv boot on an atv. Kioti sells the whole assy for $200. Like I said what a joke. The bottom line is both ball joints are bad. Confirmed with the dealer and not sure why they are bad at 100 hrs of use. Will be replaced under warranty. I hope these kind of parts are not were Kioti cuts quality to save on cost. These ball joints take a lot of abuse in the front end.

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #4  
... so, you ripped the boot. Your Kioti dealer is doing a fine job for you, getting some wear items replaced while you have warranty. Sounds like a good news story to me.

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #5  
In other applications (even when the boot is separately available) the rule is to replace the whole joint unless you are certain no dirt has gotten into the joint. Given the free play you report. the joint is suspect, at the very least. I am familiar with some automotive applications where the ball joint is heavily loaded (supports weight of the car) and some play is permissible. But ball joints with little static load should have no perceptible play, as a rule.

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #6  
Let me make it a little clearer. It is the ball joint not tie rod that is bad. The tie rod is outer the ball joint is inner.
I didn't think the DK 50 even had ball joints.
I thought it was the bevel gear style front axle with bearings instead of ball joints.
Sounds to me like you are talking about the tie rod ends.

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #7  
I didn't think the DK 50 even had ball joints.
I thought it was the bevel gear style front axle with bearings instead of ball joints.
Sounds to me like you are talking about the tie rod ends.
I looked up what kioti is calling a ball joint in the parts breakdown of a DK 50.
I see now what you are talking about.

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #8  
Get them replaced under your warranty. Possibly they weren't installed properly when the tractor was built, or they had some bad joints from their supplier. Either way, this is what a warranty does for you, and why you pay for it when you buy new. FWIW, I've never heard of this issue on a DK-50 before now. That's not to say it doesn't occur, just not an everyday complaint.

/ Dk50 seh ball joint play #10  
Under Hydraulic, no wonder I could not find it. Thanks DK.