Coolant Change - Best Replacement Coolant to Use for CK and DK

/ Coolant Change - Best Replacement Coolant to Use for CK and DK #1  

Spanky100

Silver Member
NE Texas, NE Tennessee, and SE MI and SW OH
Tractor
Current Kioti CK27HST and Cub Cadet 1810. Previous NH1510 Hydro, AC D14, Oliver 1355?, and JD 314 Lawn Tractor
What is the best coolant to replace the factory fill coolant in CK and DK models. I believe both CK and DK engines do not have wet liners, so likely no cavitation additative requirements. Suspect any ethylene glycol coolant mixed at 50/50 with distilled water would work.

I am leaning toward using the Prestone Dexcool as it has performed well in my trucks and cars and is easy to get. My experience with passenger car and pickup truck coolant systems filled with Dexcool have been very clean after 5 to 7 years and 100,000 plus miles. Prior to Dexcool I used the standard silicate based additative package coolants and they used to "plate" out in the passages. Looked bad but not sure it was an issue.

Should we change on time or engine hours or both.

Thanks for you information.

/ Coolant Change - Best Replacement Coolant to Use for CK and DK #2  
Spanky, even though I own a Deere, I was thinking about the same thing.

Deere of course counsels to use a heavy duty coolant like their own brand, but my Yanmar engine doesn't have wet cylinder liners either, so should not need a wetting agent additive to prevent liner cavitation erosion.

I was heading down the path you are, just use regular ethylene glycol-based antifreeze blend (with distilled water) like you would for your car.

I change on time because the anti-corrosion additive decays over time.

Anybody else?

/ Coolant Change - Best Replacement Coolant to Use for CK and DK #3  
My Kioti dealer said there is no requirement to use any special type of coolant. So I'm going to use the regular off the shelf universal coolant at around 700 hours, on my 2010 DK-40. I keep her in a heated radiant floor shop/garage/barn so I'm not too worried about coolant breakdown as I might be if stored outside where she might get a chill.:D

/ Coolant Change - Best Replacement Coolant to Use for CK and DK #4  
Nearly all modern antifreeze/coolant is principally ethylene glycol however there are also formulations based propylene glycol, which are less toxic. The difference between formulations is in the additives for lubrication and corrosion resistance. There are some real compatibility issues (associated mainly with metallurgy and seals) between some additives and engine components. These incompatibilities are not significant in most cases and manufacturers usually get specific about coolant recommendations when it matters (and sometimes when it doesn't). My DK45s manuals (owners and service) do not specify any particular antifreeze, so I guess it doesn't matter.

By the way, ethylene glycol is toxic to mammals that drink it, which they sometimes do because it tastes sweet. So don't let the critters get into the old antifreeze. Actually, the glycol itself isn't directly toxic but its matabolites cause acute kidney failure. Glycol poisioning can be treated (would you believe with ethyl alcohol) but prompt treatment is required before kidney failure occurs.

/ Coolant Change - Best Replacement Coolant to Use for CK and DK #5  
Being that there are no wet sleeves in our engines, I've just used a 50/50 mix of regular Prestone changed per manual intervals. Coming up on 9 years with no problems.