Hydraulic oil change--any tips for refilling??

/ Hydraulic oil change--any tips for refilling?? #1  

Retired guy

Bronze Member
Tractor
CK 30HST
I am about to finish my 400 hour maintenance on my 2012 CK 30 HST with a cab.
I changed the engine oil, oil filter and fuel filter last Tuesday and the gear oil on Wednesday.
I have a big, old storage bin to drain the fluid into and will do each side and drop the filter
before taking out he big plug. My problem is getting 8+ gallons of oil back in. I have an extended
funnel to get past the cab overhang. Do you pull the dipstick to allow the air to escape?? I know a lot of you guys have done this so please advise. All suggestions appreciated.

/ Hydraulic oil change--any tips for refilling?? #2  
I use a funnel like you but first transfer some of the oil into smaller containers to make pouring easier. Two gallons in five gallon bucket is sort-of OK but I also use an old five quart oil container that is more maneuverable. Rarely do I spill drop.

The oil is transferred into the smaller containers with this "pail tipper" I bought. Works like champ and not sure how I survived without one. Bought it on Amazon.

31ZxOJ1xahL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's the thread on it.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/258905-anyone-have-pail-tipper-5-a.html

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic oil change--any tips for refilling?? #3  
   / Hydraulic oil change--any tips for refilling?? #4  
I used this pail pump from Harbor Freight: 5 Gallon Oil Pump

It was easy if slow, but you can only add cold oil but so fast. The only problem was that the clear hose leaked at both ends (if I pumped hard) until I "reinforced" the connections with small hose clamps. Otherwise, it was clean and much easier than hoisting a 5 gallon bucket.

/ Hydraulic oil change--any tips for refilling?? #6  
I just use a funnel and pour slow. The various pumps mentioned would make it easier but not sure what else I'd use it for and with fluid only changed every 400 hours, I guess I just do it the hard way.

/ Hydraulic oil change--any tips for refilling?? #7  
I have not tried it . I wonder if this shaker / siphon hose will work?

$_57.JPG BUSA PROBS 009.JPG maxresdefault.jpg

/ Hydraulic oil change--any tips for refilling?? #8  
[

QUOTE=Retired guy;3950682]I am about to finish my 400 hour maintenance on my 2012 CK 30 HST with a cab.
I changed the engine oil, oil filter and fuel filter last Tuesday and the gear oil on Wednesday.
I have a big, old storage bin to drain the fluid into and will do each side and drop the filter
before taking out he big plug. My problem is getting 8+ gallons of oil back in. I have an extended
funnel to get past the cab overhang. Do you pull the dipstick to allow the air to escape?? I know a lot of you guys have done this so please advise. All suggestions appreciated.[/QUOTE]

There should be a bolt that's on the left side of the fill cap. Unscrew to vent for filling hydraulic fluid.

/ Hydraulic oil change--any tips for refilling?? #9  
I also use the pail pump method. Works great

/ Hydraulic oil change--any tips for refilling?? #10  
I use a manual pump that fits in the 5 gallon pail. Bought it at TSC for about $29. Hose is small enough that didn't have to vent anything, just pump it in.