Backhoe RPM

/ RPM #1  

farmboy238

Tractor
Kioti DK45se HST + JD 4066m
Just took delivery of my new DK45SEH with 401 fel and backhoe attachment. This is my first BH and I need to know what rpm to run engine for best performance and efficiency? I will appreciate your info on this, I know it may be a dumb question but it's mine.:confused2:

/ RPM #2  
That is a trial and error type deal.
To high of RPM and the backhoe will be jumpy/touchy. To low of RPM and the backhoe will be to slow.
You will need to just very the RPM's at first and see where you like it.
I like how my backhoe works at around 2100 RPM on my DK 35 with Rhino 85 backhoe.

/ RPM #3  
I run mine between 1700-1800. Otherwise it's to touchy/fast for me. You'll get full pressure at whatever rpm you pick. It's the flow that changes. As mentioned, see what works for you. I like the lower rpm because it saves fuel but I get full power at a speed I like. This is a CK30hst with KB2375.

/ RPM
Thanks for the info. Went out yesterday and practiced with the backhoe. Started out with the engine at 1500 rpm to practice then up it to 1800. I think that will work for me. Plan to go out today and dig up a stump and I'll see how that goes may even do a video on that.

/ RPM #5  
I don't have a backhoe, but my dealer has always told me you shouldn't run any attachment at less than 2000 rpm. Maybe the larger tractors are different??

/ RPM #7  
[my dealer has always told me you shouldn't run any attachment at less than 2000 rpm. Maybe the larger tractors are different?]

You sure he wasn't referring to the HST? It should not be driven at less than 2000-21000 rpm in order to keep the pump running properly

/ RPM #8  
If I am just moving my tractor around short distances, I don't rev it up to 2000 RPM, 1200 is plenty to make it work properly when moving slowly. I could never see the idea of running a motor wide open or nearly so just to creep forward/backward.

I run my backhoe anywhere from idle to 2000 RPM. It works as good as it can at 2000 so no need to go faster and get double the engine noise. When I want to finesse something, I will lower it to idle so the hoe moves really slow, it still has the same power, just really slow so you can get close to fragile things without breaking them.

/ RPM #9  
Referencing 2000 RPM minimum engine speed required to operate, this made me go back and read my owners manual for my B26. No where does it mention engine speed minimum's. IT DOES SAY, "ONLY OPERATE ENGINE AS FAST AS NECESSARY".

Perhaps other tractor manufacturers have a minimum set engine speed.

OR perhaps it is a propagated "wives" tale just like many other tales that have no basis of fact, only hearsay and "I found it on the Internet so it must be true" type of so called facts.

/ RPM #10  
The torque peak on these engines is around 1800 ish. If you run at 2k+ you have less of a chance of stalling with the hydrostat. Stalling a hydrostat is not a good idea, the damage comes from movement without having charge pressure. I move mine around at idle all the time but try to avoid stalling it. So anytime I am working the drivetrain it is above 1800. Running a backhoe? Like was said, run it at the rpm it runs best at for you. And a general rule of thumb is hydrostats run better and cool better at high rpm. CJ