Engine warming up

/ Engine warming up #1  

Capt. Bob

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 FEL
I never operate my tractor at full load till the temp gauge is in the normal range. The problem is, it takes a long time to get to the normal range. Is this normal for a CK30 engine? It don't seem to matter if it is hot or cold outside at the time. It has been this way since day one.

/ Engine warming up #2  
I plug in all of the time. I start easy- like driving to where I am going to work. By then the needle is there and I start working. It seems to warm up faster with lower rpms when it is idling. Does take some time. I also need to use the glowplugs when it is 70F to start it!
I think it depends on the brand as well. A friend with a kubota is like you, doesn't touch the tractor until it is warmed up. Takes his 15 minutes of idling if I remember correctly. -Said it like to warm up first to run well.

/ Engine warming up #3  
My ct runs very cool to. Unless radiator is obstructed.

/ Engine warming up #4  
I don't warm mine up for more than a minute regardless of the temp. Since I'm using mine for a muck bucket about half the time, I may be starting it in spurts every 15 minutes or so. I do make sure it is at low idle when I start up and wait until it is running smooth, which happens in a few seconds.

/ Engine warming up #5  
Maybe a minute or 2, then I'm off. I do move the hydraulics to get the fluid moving, and usually have to rock the HST pedal to be able to shift, but it does take a while to warm up to middle of the gauge.

/ Engine warming up #6  
Plug it in. Loading to max on a stone cold engine is not advised. Neither is 5-20 minutes of idling to "warmup" is a good idea.

/ Engine warming up #7  
Since I'm retired I try to not be hurried. I usually try to check the fluids after I've stopped, when the tractor was hot, so they should be fine.
I like to start it up, get off, walk around to make sure all is clear and a tire didn't leak down, get on exercise the FEL and 3pt slightly, ease out and go. By then I've killed several minutes.

/ Engine warming up #8  
Durning winter use an hour or so plug in along w/10-15 mins of idling at 500RPM's or so.

/ Engine warming up #9  
My BX will not warm up at idle. Usually set throttle at 15-1800 rpm and engage the pto's without load for 10-15 minutes.
That time is spent with my coffee doing a visual inspection and a little broom work on the steps.

/ Engine warming up #10  
I never operate my tractor at full load till the temp gauge is in the normal range. The problem is, it takes a long time to get to the normal range. Is this normal for a CK30 engine? It don't seem to matter if it is hot or cold outside at the time. It has been this way since day one.

This is largely an artifact of Diesel engines. With no throttle plate. the intake manifold runs at close to atmospheric pressure (not 29 inches of vacuum like a gas engine) so the engine needs to do very little work on the intake stroke. The oil, hydraulic, and water pumps and alternator do create a small load. As a result, very little fuel is needed until there is an external load on the engine so the engine heats slowly. I think the conventional wisdom is to let the engine idle until the oil is circulating throughout (maybe a minute or two, depending on the temp and oil type) and then just use it at modest loads (like driving) until the temp begins to rise. Idling at high RPM is not a good way to warm a Diesel.