CK35 Temp Gauge Not Moving

/ CK35 Temp Gauge Not Moving #1  

Tractor Tom

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK35 H
My CK35 has less than 50 hr's on it, and so far all has been good. Today at 4 deg. F the Temp gauge would not move off of stone cold. Even the Cab heat seemed less than normal. Tractor was plugged in all night, 1200RMP warm up for about 8 minutes, then up to Snow Blower speed about 2300RPM. After an hour and a half the gauge hadn't moved a bit. Normal or something to be concerned about?? thanks

Note: I normally let her warm up for about 15 - 20 minutes before using. Today was a bit of a rush job.

/ CK35 Temp Gauge Not Moving
Tonight I put a piece of cardboard on the Rad screen that covered about 70% of the Rad, and that seemed to do the trick. The CK warmed right up to normal operating temp.

/ CK35 Temp Gauge Not Moving #3  
Without a high temperature safety shutdown or a very good ( loud ) audible warning system, that's a good way to scald an engine. I advise fixing the thermostat so it works correctly for the safety of the engine and your bank account.

/ CK35 Temp Gauge Not Moving #4  
I took my ck35 out yesterday to do some clean up in the driveway and push back banks. I had no trouble with heat or the temperature guage not going up to normal. I had the tractor plugged in for about 2 hours and off I went. I'm thinking you either have a leak in coolant somewhere or your thermostat is stuck. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
   / CK35 Temp Gauge Not Moving #5  
T T ,

I know many have cab heaters, but is it possible that in that extreme cold, your cab heater is robbing much needed heat from the engine?
Have you tried turning off the cab heater to see if the engine heat comes up?
If so, is the cab heater core a bit oversized for the engine? Designed for 35-45hp size and you are at the low end.
Just throwing some guesses at you.
Maybe its just so dam cold that the heat building capacity of the engine cannot overcome the cooling of that air over the radiator.

/ CK35 Temp Gauge Not Moving #6  
It should warm up to operating temperature regardless of the ambient temperature. Have you checked the thermostat? Perhaps it is stuck open.

/ CK35 Temp Gauge Not Moving
My Dealer also thinks it may be a thermostat issue. I'm almost due for a 50hr Service, I'll have them check / replace the thermostat. I agree with Sandbur Ranch, I don't want to do engine damage. Last night once the temp. gauge moved I kept a very close eye on it. The Thermostat appears to be opening and closing. The needle would almost reach the double dots on the gauge, hold there for a minute or so and then drop down slightly. This repeated the hour or so I was out snow blowing last night.
Thanks for the reply's..

/ CK35 Temp Gauge Not Moving #8  
My CK takes forever to warm up, too. i usually start it (plugged in all night) then go inside and have breakfast, then go out and IF I have some heat coming out of the heater I go to work. 1500rpm for a bit then 2000 until the gauge starts to move. Once the gauge moves then it is right up to PTO RPM and 'get her done'.

/ CK35 Temp Gauge Not Moving #9  
Probably a stuck stat. Better to replace it under warranty at 50 hr svc. Check coolant rating too! What kind of ambient temps you having up there these days?
The rise, then drop on the gauge could also indicate a faulty/intermittent stat.
Post back results.

/ CK35 Temp Gauge Not Moving #10  
I only looked at the temp gauge once Monday in 3 hours of plowing (I know, I know, bad idea) in about 15F, it was about an hour in of 2300 RPM running with little warm up. The gauge was between cold and middle, so it was running cold. Usually it take about 30min to warm up to middle of the gauge.