Big Torque Wrench

/ Big Torque Wrench #1  

ritcheyvs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45S
The torque spec for the nuts/bolts on my back wheels is 202-235 ft-lb but my old trusty 1/2 inch torque wrench only went to 150 ft-lb. I no longer believe in "tighten it all you can" after shearing a wheel stud on my 1966 Pontiac. So I looked for a bigger torque wrench. Most of those higher-range torque wrenches were 3/4 inch drive which would also require a new set of pricey big sockets. Then I saw and ordered this TEKTON 24340 wrench on Amazon which is still 1/2 inch drive and goes up to 250 ft-lb. I have no easy way to check the calibration but it looks and feels like a quality tool and it will do what I need done. The only negative so far is that it's about 2 ft long and won't go in my toolbox.

/ Big Torque Wrench #2  
Hopefully, as a calibrated instrument, it came with its own carrying case. That wasn't mentioned if it was included in the Amazon link.

/ Big Torque Wrench #3  
Hopefully, as a calibrated instrument, it came with its own carrying case. That wasn't mentioned if it was included in the Amazon link.

I found this Set Includes:

(1) 1/2 in. Drive Click Torque Wrench
(1) Storage Case
(1) Instruction Sheet / Torque Conversion Chart

/ Big Torque Wrench #4  
To extend the range all you need to do is extend the leverage.
ex: on a torque with 12" handle add another 12" (24" pipe that will slip over the 12") and then 2X the actual readings.

Some brands of torque wrenches actually offered a factory option. (seen in my old Snap-On cataloq)

/ Big Torque Wrench #5  
The loader bolts on my la1535 have a torque spec of 272 -318 ft-lbs and the rear lug nuts are 254 - 29# ft-lbs
The torques on my BH27 bush hog are something around 600 lb-ft

These specs exceed my 250 ft-lb wrench
I borrow my neighbors proto torque multiplier
Heres as cheaper version.
7367 OTC Tools Torque Multiplier, 1000 Lbs-Ft 7367 731413570179

/ Big Torque Wrench #6  
ex: on a torque with 12" handle add another 12" (24" pipe that will slip over the 12") and then 2X the actual readings.

Some brands of torque wrenches actually offered a factory option. (seen in my old Snap-On cataloq)
How would that increase the torque at actual readings?

/ Big Torque Wrench #7  
The torque spec for the nuts/bolts on my back wheels is 202-235 ft-lb but my old trusty 1/2 inch torque wrench only went to 150 ft-lb. I no longer believe in "tighten it all you can" after shearing a wheel stud on my 1966 Pontiac. So I looked for a bigger torque wrench. Most of those higher-range torque wrenches were 3/4 inch drive which would also require a new set of pricey big sockets. Then I saw and ordered this TEKTON 24340 wrench on Amazon which is still 1/2 inch drive and goes up to 250 ft-lb. I have no easy way to check the calibration but it looks and feels like a quality tool and it will do what I need done. The only negative so far is that it's about 2 ft long and won't go in my toolbox.
Bought the exact same wrench a few weeks back.Decent torque wrench for the $$ spent IMHO.

/ Big Torque Wrench #8  
How would that increase the torque at actual readings?

I wondered the same thing. If the wrench breaks/pivots at the head. Only thing i see happening is reducing the input force to reach a given torque

/ Big Torque Wrench #9  

extension takes less effort to achieve torque, but does not multiply. I need to check auto correct before posting

Last edited:
   / Big Torque Wrench #10  
extension takes less effort to achieve torque, but does multiply it

If the wrench is set to break over / click at 250 lb-ft it will still click at. 250 lb-ft unless said extension is placed between the socket and wrench drive head. Doubling the handle length would still leave you with a 250 lb-ft wrech