3 hrs on 2015 NX4510 and check engine light is on after missing Regeneration

/ 3 hrs on 2015 NX4510 and check engine light is on after missing Regeneration #1  

ToSoon

Tractor
2015 Kioti NX4510 HST Cab 6010 loader
I was going to post an introduction tonight after I put a couple hours on my new tractor brush hogging. Unfortunately that has been cut short by a check engine light. I was running a brush hog at around 1700 RPM with pto cruise. The regeneration light came on, I did not realize what it was at first so I slowed down the PTO. The dealer did explain I just forgot at the time. I sat idle for a couple minutes trying to figure out what the light was on my phone. While I was sitting still the check engine light came on.

The dealer had said under light load I might see the dpf regeneration at 50 hours, so I am a little confused why it would be on at 3 hours. I did let it idle for a long time this morning afternoon since it was cold. I guess my question is should I try and follow the process for the dpf to see if the engine light goes off? Park, run it for a few minutes then press the regeneration button. Wait 30 to 40 minutes. The tractor starts fine, temp never went up, I did not notice any issues other than the light being on.

Any help would be appreciated.

/ 3 hrs on 2015 NX4510 and check engine light is on after missing Regeneration #2  
Seems 1700RPMs might be too low to run your brush hog and might be bogging the engine, possibly?
Will the tractor run with the regen light on?
You could either keep running it if it will run, or wait till Monday and call your selling dealer.

Sorry for your issue, it is probably something simple, like what I mentioned above or a faulty sensor.

This Tier 4 stuff is still so new, it's not like we Kioti owners have a lot of troubleshooting time on it, yet.

Does your manual have any useful info at all?

Post back results.

Thanks.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Not to worry, it will be resolved.....

/ 3 hrs on 2015 NX4510 and check engine light is on after missing Regeneration
Yes I could have been running it a little to slow. I was thinking maybe I have been babying it to much but the field was pretty bumpy so I was not going very fast either. The tractor ran fine with the light on. I did not notice any difference driving it back towards the house. Starts up first turn, idles smooth but the check engine light is on.

How many RPMs do you usually keep your DK while running PTO?

"If carbon is accumulated in the exhaust cataylic filter, the warning lamp comes on or blinks. If this lamp comes on push down the regeneration button. Then it refers to another page and tells me to park the tractor, start it at idle, depress brake and lock. Run engine 3 to 4 minutes. Then press the regeneration button. The regeneration underway lamp blinks after the regeneration warning lamp goes off. Wait for approx. 30 to 40 minutes until the regeneration process is completed. "the regeneration under way lamp will come on the when the DPF temperature reaches a certain temperature."

/ 3 hrs on 2015 NX4510 and check engine light is on after missing Regeneration #5  
Yes I could have been running it a little to slow. I was thinking maybe I have been babying it to much but the field was pretty bumpy so I was not going very fast either. The tractor ran fine with the light on. I did not notice any difference driving it back towards the house. Starts up first turn, idles smooth but the check engine light is on.

How many RPMs do you usually keep your DK while running PTO?

When running a PTO driven implement (on any tractor) you should run the engine at PTO speed - probably around 2600 RPM - and adjust ground speed via your transmission. That does not mean you should start/engage the implement at PTO speed, though. Always engage the implement at the lowest possible RPM and then slowly bring the throttle up to PTO speed for working.

If you have been running at 1700 RPM while using a rotary cutter you are lugging the engine unnecessarily and your cutter is not spinning/running/cutting at anywhere near the correct speed.

Speaking in general terms, higher RPM - whether idling or working - is a must with the new Tier IV engines.

So do you think I should wait until monday and call dealer or try running it at higher speed for awhile?

/ 3 hrs on 2015 NX4510 and check engine light is on after missing Regeneration #7  
I am not familiar specifically with the Kioti or it's engine. I am familiar with Tier IV in general. I would not want to send you down the wrong path. I will tell you that if it was mine I would run the heck out of it, minimally at PTO speed, even without using an implement. Tier IV engines want more RPMs and higher heat then most people realize.

Did your dealer not explain about PTO speed for driven implements? I know you said you forgot about the regen light, etc. but if he didn't explain it that is a big no-no in my book, especially how to engage a heavy driven implement like a rotary cutter.

I do not think they said I had to run it at the PTO speed specifically or that I had to run it very fast but it could have been my fault. He did not really say anything about keeping the rpms high. But there was a lot to go over. I am thinking I might have just been way to easy on it and it needs to be worked. Man this sucks! I do not want to risk damaging something.

/ 3 hrs on 2015 NX4510 and check engine light is on after missing Regeneration #9  
You're not going to damage something. Realize that ground speed controlled by your foot on the pedal is NOT the same as throttle speed, which determines engine RPMs. The red triangle on the odometer scale should be around 2500-2600 RPMs and is the indication of PTO speed for your tractor. In general, 2000 RPMs is an average RPM level at which to operate the tractor by itself with no real load on the engine or PTO.

It WILL take time to get used to what the tractor 'wants'/needs to keep it happy.

Try running it for a bit to get an idea what it needs to go on flat vs. hilly terrain in terms of RPMs and foot pedal, WITHOUT and brush hog work being performed. After getting a sense of what it needs to get itself around your property, then add things like brush hog tasks etc. It's not a race horse, so take some time to get to know it, ease into it. You'll be fine.

Yeah it was a rookie mistake on my part. It was running so smoothly I did not think it was an issue, it was very thin tall weeds. As far as damaging it I should have said I want to try to run it tomorrow at a higher rpm to see if the code clears or if I can get the regeneration to kick back on again so I can do the procedure. But that seems kind of risky with the engine light on. Maybe it I will get lucky and it will be gone in the morning.