What's the trick to getting the Locking Differential pedal to work?

/ What's the trick to getting the Locking Differential pedal to work? #1  

kspring61

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST Ford 8N
Went to use the pedal to lock the differentials on my DK40SE and it won't budge. Doesn't move a bit.
Could I be doing something wrong? wouldn't think so, manual says just to depress it to lock the differential.
I was on a hill, if there is pressure on driveline can you still depress the pedal?

/ What's the trick to getting the Locking Differential pedal to work? #2  
You may need the rear to spin a bit to line up the gears.

/ What's the trick to getting the Locking Differential pedal to work? #3  
Put moderate (not excessive) pressure on the pedal. About the weight of your leg. Move the tractor, it should depress and lock in. If not. Investigate.

/ What's the trick to getting the Locking Differential pedal to work? #4  
If you can't move the diff lock while operating on level ground It could be possible the diff lock linkage may be frozen or stuck from lack of use. That was the problem on 2 previous tractors I had. I hardly ever used the diff lock on both and when I went to use it the pedal wouldn't move. Mine was froze up from lack of use and lack of lube. It took 2 cans of penetrant oil and some vibration by tapping with a hammer to get it to free up.

/ What's the trick to getting the Locking Differential pedal to work? #5  
There are only a couple places within the rotation of the driveline it can lock in. If those places in the driveline are not lined up, as murphy said above you may need one of the tires to spin slightly before it will lock in.

If you just want to test the functionality, as k0ua said put the weight of your leg on the pedal and proceed to drive in a circle using only 2wd. If you make a complete circle and it hasn't locked in, get it checked out. When driving in the circle, once it locks in the tire on the inside of the circle will begin to spin and the tractor will fight to go in a straight line. If that happens all is well.

/ What's the trick to getting the Locking Differential pedal to work?
THanks guys, Tractor only has 12 hours on it, new this last Jan. I'll give it a try tomorrow when I get it back out to finish cleaning what I started.
Clearing a hill side behind the house . Amazing what you can do with a grapple and a box blade :)

/ What's the trick to getting the Locking Differential pedal to work? #7  
Has your snow melted ALREADY?

/ What's the trick to getting the Locking Differential pedal to work? #8  
Has your snow melted ALREADY?

Not completely melted here. I still have a pile about 6-8" in the yard where I had pushed it back. A couple weeks ago I back dragged the piles to help it melt faster.

Attachments

• DSCN1530 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1530 (Large).JPG
    684.5 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN1529 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1529 (Large).JPG
    650.9 KB · Views: 164