Tow hitch off the 3 point linkage counter weight

/ Tow hitch off the 3 point linkage counter weight #1  

KiotiJason

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DS3510 and 2 x Fordson Power Majors
Hi Chaps,
I'm trying to figure out it would be ok if I put a to tow ball on my counter weight as the trailer won't fit on the drawbar with the counter raised up. It's a 8'x4' dual wheel and I worried that if loaded the trailer there would be too much leverage on the 3 point. The tractors a DS3510..... What do you think?

/ Tow hitch off the 3 point linkage counter weight #2  
I guess it depends on what you are using for a Counter Weight, how heavy is the CW, where the ball would be mounted and how high the ball will be when the 3 pt is raised.
Lots of guys have a tow ball mounted on CW's, back and box blades, rakes, etc.
Unless your CW is real heavy I don't see a problem adding a ball to tow a trailer.

/ Tow hitch off the 3 point linkage counter weight
Here is a photo to give you an idea..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 769
   / Tow hitch off the 3 point linkage counter weight #4  
Hook up the trailer with shackles and chain and see how it works. Remember the trailer loading will determine the tongue weight.

I think it will work I'm just worried about damaging the three point linkage. The trailer wrights 1/2 a tonne and is rated for 2 tonne. It would be great to be able to ke the CW on so I can take the trailer to where I'm working, detach it and use the loader to load the trailer then tow it all back.
Cheers

/ Tow hitch off the 3 point linkage counter weight #6  
As long as the loader is empty the front end will let you know if there is to much weight on the 3pt, just be careful with jarring bumps or going down steep hill with a 3pt attached trailer as there is nothing holding down the hitch point but weight of the hitch (not the tractor weight).

As long as the loader is empty the front end will let you know if there is to much weight on the 3pt, just be careful with jarring bumps or going down steep hill with a 3pt attached trailer as there is nothing holding down the hitch point but weight of the hitch (not the tractor weight).
Thanks, im worried that the leverage on the 3pt will be a problem especially turning etc... Being a dual wheel trailer I thing that most of the weight won't be on the ball?.

/ Tow hitch off the 3 point linkage counter weight #8  
My concern has always been the opposite of yours, especially when we bring a trailer full of logs up the hill on our driveway.

We worry that if we load the trailer too tail-heavy by accident, the tongue will flip up and given the inability of our 3-point to apply down pressure, the load wil fly out the back of the trailer and it will all come crashing back down when the weight is no longer in the back of the trailer.

Fortunately, we have not had any such problems, partly due to our heavy (for our little tractor) counter weight, and partly due to really being careful in our loading to keep the weight either centered over the axle, or at worst slightly tongue-heavy.

We have trailer hitch boxes on both our ballast box and box-blade- the ones sold as bumper hitches at HF for trailer moving, pulling our roller, and for use as a pulling point for our winch.

/ Tow hitch off the 3 point linkage counter weight #9  
<snip>

We have trailer hitch boxes on both our ballast box and box-blade- the ones sold as bumper hitches at HF for trailer moving, pulling our roller, and for use as a pulling point for our winch.

Can you further reference or show what hitches you refer to? Thanks.