ck35 engine wont shut off immediately

/ ck35 engine wont shut off immediately #1  

joe04785

Silver Member
Tractor
XR3037
Hey everyone, I have a 2014 ck35hst with 23 hours on the clock and I have a problem. My problem is when I try to shut the tractor off, the engine stays running for about 5-10 seconds after I turn the key to the off position. Sometimes when I turn the key off, I then have enough time to exit the cab and lock the door before the tractor engine shuts down. I don't think its a switch issue, cause when I turn the key off my everything else in the cab shuts off besides the engine. Maybe a sticky fuel solenoid???? I plan on going to see the dealer, just haven't had time yet. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

/ ck35 engine wont shut off immediately #3  
I will assume your 2014 model has the new stop solenoid on the front of the engine. Here's a definitive test. With the engine idling, disconnect the connector at the stop solenoid. If the engine does not stop promptly, the solenoid is bad (likely) OR the injection pump is bad (unlikely and expensive). You must still have a warranty so use it. You can replace the solenoid DIY if that saves you paying to trailer it to your dealer. Beyond that, make the dealer fix it.

/ ck35 engine wont shut off immediately
Thanks for the replies. Would you happen to have a pic for the location of the stop solenoid connector? I have a trailer and truck to take it to the dealer.. It sure is under warranty. I went to see the dealer and he is booked 3 weeks out. He said ignition switch or the stop solenoid. I'm not to keen on waiting 3 weeks. If I would find out for sure what it would be then he would give the parts to me under warranty. Thanks

/ ck35 engine wont shut off immediately #6  
Maybe this link will help (zoom the picture, it's item 20). The SS is in the front of the engine directly in front of the injection pump). I think the connector plugs directly into the solenoid but it might be an inline connector on a short section of wire from the solenoid.

Thanks for all the info. I just got my tractor back from the dealer and he informed me about the problem, which is very strange to me. I have an aftermarket fan wired into a cigarette lighter that I use in the summer and winter time. I used to turn the fan off with the fan switch but recently its been hot, so I would just leave it on and it would shut off after I turned my ignition switch off. So the problem is that my engine would take 5-10 seconds after I shut the key switch off before the engine would shut down. What was happening is after I shut the key switch off the fan blade would still be rotating for about 5-10 seconds after. According to my dealer the power from the fan blade would backfeed and not let the fuel solenoid shut off until the blade was done rotating. So we did a test. We took a air to the fan blade right after I would shut the engine off and the engine would not shut off until that blade stopped turning. I couldn't believe it. Learn something new everyday I guess.

/ ck35 engine wont shut off immediately #8  
Very interesting. If this is the case, then the cigarette lighter socket is getting its power from the switched stop solenoid wire/circuit. Not good.

I would think about rewiring the socket directly to the battery with its own in line fuse. This will solve your problem and also make the socket more usable. Ex. Power inverter or plug in a battery tender without opening the hood.

/ ck35 engine wont shut off immediately #9  
That is the most bizarre problem I have heard of yet. Good dealer to figure it out.

The connection used to hook up the fan is the factory extra on the back. I would have never thought.