Help downunder

/ Help downunder #1  

daedong

Veteran Member
Hi folks. long time no post!

Recently I have had some troubles starting my old DK50. At first every time i went to start the tractor it was as if the battery had no life and the dash lights would go out when engaging the key. I suspected the switch was faulty so I replaced it, all went well for a few days, then more trouble set in. Now when I turn the key i get a ratchet/clicking noise from the starter, I suspect this is from the solenoid, but no cranking, anyone have some clues? Thanks in anticipation

Vin

/ Help downunder #3  
   / Help downunder #4  
In the beginning, you say at first when starting the tractor. Once you got it started the first time, did the following starts go normal? Maybe the battery is losing some charge while sitting and subsequent starts are fine because the alternator charged the battery back up. You replaced the ignition switch and all was fine for a few days which would suggest the battery is fine and something was wrong with the old switch. Now you have the starter solenoid clicking but no cranking which is a good indication of low power from the battery or a bad connection as suggested. When you check the battery terminals, also check where the wire enters the terminal. Some members have posted that corrosion had entered the wire at the terminal under the insulation and started to eat the copper of the wire not allowing power to flow full. The other two areas are where the battery ground wire attaches to the frame and the positive wire attaches to the solenoid. I'd take them off, clean, and re-attach. Other than that, a load test on the battery. If you have a helper and a voltmeter, you can try yourself by checking the battery voltage when trying to start the tractor. It really shouldn't be dropping below 11 volts. If everything is all good, then time to start checking elsewhere. Let the members know and hopefully more suggestions for you on your findings.

/ Help downunder #5  
On my DK45S I went out one day to start the tractor, flipped the key on, and the lights came on, waited for the glow plug light to go out, and turned to start, and lost all power. Turn the key off and back on and would have power to the dash lights, until turned to start position. Could put the charger set at 5 amp on the battery for 30 seconds and it would start for a week Had a cell shorting out inside the battery.

If you attached the charger before load testing it would test good. But if load tested before charging would fail.

Also have had a loose connection issue where when you turn the key to off and it tried to actuate the fuel solenoid it wouldn't shut off, and just buzzed.

/ Help downunder
What a drama finding this problem, checked and cleaned all connections, re tightened, vroom, away I went for an hour, stopped for smoko went back would not start! I was a little concerned that the crimp fitting on the - lead was sus, I cleaned it in acid, soldered it. problem fixed, like new again. Thanks for all your input, appreciated!

BTW, This has been one **** of a warrior, 14 years old, treated worse than the wife and is still my best mate!

/ Help downunder #7  
What a drama finding this problem, checked and cleaned all connections, re tightened, vroom, away I went for an hour, stopped for smoko went back would not start! I was a little concerned that the crimp fitting on the - lead was sus, I cleaned it in acid, soldered it. problem fixed, like new again. Thanks for all your input, appreciated!

BTW, This has been one **** of a warrior, 14 years old, treated worse than the wife and is still my best mate!

Then why is your web site Deere green and yellow?