Log Skidding with DK45

/ Log Skidding with DK45 #1  

krazykioti

Tractor
Kioti Dk45
Hello,
I plan on doing some log skidding this year with my DK45.
Has anyone out there done much skidding with their Kioti. I have a FEL mounted on the tractor, which will help to keep the front end on the ground. Probably the largest I will ever skid will be 20 inch diameter. I might build a skidding trailer if necessary , to make the operation safer. Some pointers would be appreciated !

Thanks,
Charlie

/ Log Skidding with DK45 #3  
I used a 3054 to skid logs with a set of tongs worked great. loader is a must to keep frontend down. I scared the sawmill guy when I came up and out of the woods with the front tires adout 2 feet in the air /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, before i put a loader on. Wish i had a pic. I now have a dk45 with loader, but have only pull a few logs so far, to wet now. Skidding can cause a lot of pucker factor so take your time and start small until you get the hang of it . the dk45 should pull 20" logs with out a problem, my 3054 did(20" x 20 feet). make sure you do not skid over any stumps that the log(s) can catch on, not a good thing can tear up your equip. or worse cause a rollover! I will try to get some pic.s of me skidding with both the 3054 and dk45 when it drys out some. good luck and be careful.

/ Log Skidding with DK45 #4  
Be careful is right. A man in northern New York was killed last Sunday skidding a log with his tractor. Log caught on something and the tractor flipped over.

/ Log Skidding with DK45 #5  
I used to have a 3054 and a DK 35 that I skidded logs using a small Fransgard winch. Now I have a DK 55 with a Norse 450 winch. They work great. Just remember to keep things in perspective and you will always be temtpted to get out too much at once

/ Log Skidding with DK45 #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Now I have a DK 55 with a Norse 450 winch. They work great. )</font> Gmol, would you mind giving us a lesson in how you use the winch? I think a lot of people including myself could benefit from hearing just how the procedure should go. thanks a million, John

/ Log Skidding with DK45 #7  
web page
That's a thread called winch work which I found very informative.
This link is for Farmi winches, I have the 501, but the info is good for anyone using a winch: web page

/ Log Skidding with DK45 #8  
Thanks tawilson. I'll check it out. I've just been using a boom pole or tying to swinging drawbar, raising the trunk enough to skid it. But of course, you have to get up close to do that. A winch would probably help a lot. John

/ Log Skidding with DK45 #9  
John,
Whew!!! A boom pole for skidding logs? Scary!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif That puts the weight WAY above the rear axle. Wouldn't take too much to walk that tractor up and over with weight up high like that. Can happen real quick too.

Those winches are probably the best way to go, if not then maybe a logging arch. I've skidded plenty with old iron (Allis Chalmers WD) and only used the drawbar, but you sure don't want that load up high.

/ Log Skidding with DK45 #10  
I used my neighbors little B1700 for pulling logs out of the woods last year. I used his 3Pt hitch drawbar with a tow hook. I backed up to the log with the bar over the log. Then I wrapped a chain around the log and attached it to the drawbar. I then lifted the log with the 3Pt. hitch and off I went. I pulled over 40 logs out of the woods with no problem this way. Only the other end touches the ground. There is no chance of hanging up this way and the center of pull is way below center on the tractor.