Blue smoke on cold start/cold outside

/ Blue smoke on cold start/cold outside #1  

liberty2701

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti Dk50se hst
I had posted last year that my DK50 se was blowing lots of blue smoke on startup. Sent to dealer under warranty check and they attributed it to bad fuel. I received a $170 bill for that. Now that it is cold outside I started my tractor and it it blows tons of blue smoke for about 30 sec. It blows and blows until I raise the idle and then it starts to clear up and run smoother, It sound like an engine misfire when it is doing this. I did check all the glow plugs for function and they are good. I even swapped the fuel with no change. Is this a normal cold start for a Kioti? I have around 240 hrs on a 2014 model. I tried uploading a video and it is too big. I really do not want to go back to dealer and get another bill. Ran fine all summer with no smoke at all. It sucks because my MF before this never smoked on startup. I have to leave the barn until it clears so I can breathe. Any idea if I can upload the video? Zip file says 25mb

/ Blue smoke on cold start/cold outside #2  
Not sure about the blue smoke. Mine shoots black smoke when I first start it. The side where the exhaust pipe sits leaves a black soot like residue on my blower housing. I just think that is normal for diesel in my case cause the blower is right in front of it. I never noticed it on the FEL bucket..

/ Blue smoke on cold start/cold outside #3  
I had posted last year that my DK50 se was blowing lots of blue smoke on startup. Sent to dealer under warranty check and they attributed it to bad fuel. I received a $170 bill for that. Now that it is cold outside I started my tractor and it it blows tons of blue smoke for about 30 sec. It blows and blows until I raise the idle and then it starts to clear up and run smoother, It sound like an engine misfire when it is doing this. I did check all the glow plugs for function and they are good. I even swapped the fuel with no change. Is this a normal cold start for a Kioti? I have around 240 hrs on a 2014 model. I tried uploading a video and it is too big. I really do not want to go back to dealer and get another bill. Ran fine all summer with no smoke at all. It sucks because my MF before this never smoked on startup. I have to leave the barn until it clears so I can breathe. Any idea if I can upload the video? Zip file says 25mb

What was the $170 for exactly? What did your dealer do, and did it stop the blue smoke issue?
You say your glow plugs are OK- how did you verify that?
And, it sounds like unburned fuel and fouling, which could be injector related, instead of glow plug(s). For instance, if an injector has a particle fouling it's spray pattern, then it will not properly atomize the fuel sent through it, resulting in unburned fuel being present.
Your tractor is under warranty, yes?
If so the dealer should fix it, UNLESS it is a bad fuel issue causing a jammed or partially jammed injector or injection pump damage.
Have you changed your fuel filter regularly, and if so at what interval? You may have bad fuel crud/ water, or other matter in your tank, possibly.
Here's what I'd do, (after answering my questions so we have an idea what has already been done).
I'd change my fuel filter, and possibly consider draining the fuel tank. First I'd try some fuel injector cleaner for DIESEL engines, and see if symptoms change at all. Report back results.

BTW, it is NOT a normal start for any brand/model tractor to blow blue smoke for 30 seconds or more. And you might consider loading the video to youtube and then putting a link to it on this thread.

One other thing you ought to do to prevent possible engine damage is check your oil level carefully, daily until the problem is corrected. It is possible raw unburned fuel is making it's way to your crankcase/oil pan and diluting your oil as a result. This could have negative consequences for your rings, etc. if fuel IS making it's way through the engine instead of being burned. Try smelling the oil on the dipstick, and see if the level is creeping up the dipstick over time. If there is any fuel smell in the oil you'll need to change it and the oil filter to prevent dilution and possible damage to internal engine parts.

/ Blue smoke on cold start/cold outside #4  
Are you letting the glow plugs cycle long enough ?
Maybe try to cycle the glow plugs a second time on cold days and see what it does.
I've worked around diesels a long time, some I've been around start up with very little smoke in cold weather.
Many smoke and blubber pretty good for a while when its cold out.

/ Blue smoke on cold start/cold outside
I removed each glow plug and measured the temp and voltage. They stay glowing for 17 secs. Fuel filter is changed and no crud in the bowl. I use a cleaner/ stabilizer all year long and Howse once the cold weather comes. Oil looks and smells good and level has not changed in 90 hrs since last change. It only did this when the cold weather came. Dealer charged 170 fir labor,fuel and stanadyne fuel treatment. The last time this happened was in july and it has not done it since. Now the cold weather is here and it is back. Like i said i pumped out the tank and put in fresh diesel with the same results. Here is the Youtube video link

QUOTE=Coyote machine;4299275]What was the $170 for exactly? What did your dealer do, and did it stop the blue smoke issue?
And, it sounds like unburned fuel and fouling, which could be injector related, instead of glow plug(s). For instance, if an injector has a particle fouling it's spray pattern, then it will not properly atomize the fuel sent through it, resulting in unburned fuel being present.
If so the dealer should fix it, UNLESS it is a bad fuel issue causing a jammed or partially jammed injector or injection pump damage.
Have you changed your fuel filter regularly, and if so at what interval? You may have bad fuel crud/ water, or other matter in your tank, possibly.
Here's what I'd do, (after answering my questions so we have an idea what has already been done).
I'd change my fuel filter, and possibly consider draining the fuel tank. First I'd try some fuel injector cleaner for DIESEL engines, and see if symptoms change at all. Report back results.

BTW, it is NOT a normal start for any brand/model tractor to blow blue smoke for 30 seconds or more. And you might consider loading the video to youtube and then putting a link to it on this thread.

One other thing you ought to do to prevent possible engine damage is check your oil level carefully, daily until the problem is corrected. It is possible raw unburned fuel is making it's way to your crankcase/oil pan and diluting your oil as a result. This could have negative consequences for your rings, etc. if fuel IS making it's way through the engine instead of being burned. Try smelling the oil on the dipstick, and see if the level is creeping up the dipstick over time. If there is any fuel smell in the oil you'll need to change it and the oil filter to prevent dilution and possible damage to internal engine parts.[/QUOTE]

/ Blue smoke on cold start/cold outside #6  
Maybe I missed it, but have they checked the injectors?

/ Blue smoke on cold start/cold outside #7  
I removed each glow plug and measured the temp and voltage. They stay glowing for 17 secs. Fuel filter is changed and no crud in the bowl. I use a cleaner/ stabilizer all year long and Howse once the cold weather comes. Oil looks and smells good and level has not changed in 90 hrs since last change. It only did this when the cold weather came. Dealer charged 170 fir labor,fuel and stanadyne fuel treatment. The last time this happened was in july and it has not done it since. Now the cold weather is here and it is back. Like i said i pumped out the tank and put in fresh diesel with the same results. I will get video onto youtube. QUOTE=Coyote machine;4299275]What was the $170 for exactly? What did your dealer do, and did it stop the blue smoke issue? You say your glow plugs are OK- how did you verify that? And, it sounds like unburned fuel and fouling, which could be injector related, instead of glow plug(s). For instance, if an injector has a particle fouling it's spray pattern, then it will not properly atomize the fuel sent through it, resulting in unburned fuel being present. Your tractor is under warranty, yes? If so the dealer should fix it, UNLESS it is a bad fuel issue causing a jammed or partially jammed injector or injection pump damage. Have you changed your fuel filter regularly, and if so at what interval? You may have bad fuel crud/ water, or other matter in your tank, possibly. Here's what I'd do, (after answering my questions so we have an idea what has already been done). I'd change my fuel filter, and possibly consider draining the fuel tank. First I'd try some fuel injector cleaner for DIESEL engines, and see if symptoms change at all. Report back results. BTW, it is NOT a normal start for any brand/model tractor to blow blue smoke for 30 seconds or more. And you might consider loading the video to youtube and then putting a link to it on this thread. One other thing you ought to do to prevent possible engine damage is check your oil level carefully, daily until the problem is corrected. It is possible raw unburned fuel is making it's way to your crankcase/oil pan and diluting your oil as a result. This could have negative consequences for your rings, etc. if fuel IS making it's way through the engine instead of being burned. Try smelling the oil on the dipstick, and see if the level is creeping up the dipstick over time. If there is any fuel smell in the oil you'll need to change it and the oil filter to prevent dilution and possible damage to internal engine parts.
[/QUOTE]

Do you have an engine block heater and engine warm when starting? I have an L2501 Kubota with 10 hours on it. It belches black/blue smoke and hiccups for about 10-15 seconds and then runs smooth and clears up. I'm not to concerned about it. But as stated above, watch your oil level if this issue comes and goes.

/ Blue smoke on cold start/cold outside
No heater. It actually was longer than 30 secs. It is abouit 1 min before it cleared as you can see in the video. Engine is cold. This morning in the 20's F.

/ Blue smoke on cold start/cold outside #9  
No heater. It actually was longer than 30 secs. It is abouit 1 min before it cleared as you can see in the video.

OK, didn't see the video in your post, sorry. Well, that's kind of concerning with all the unburnt fuel, but then it cleared up. Why it takes so long is beyond my expertise. I'm stumped. Wish I had a diagnosis for you.

/ Blue smoke on cold start/cold outside #10  
I removed each glow plug and measured the temp and voltage. They stay glowing for 17 secs. Fuel filter is changed and no crud in the bowl. I use a cleaner/ stabilizer all year long and Howse once the cold weather comes. Oil looks and smells good and level has not changed in 90 hrs since last change. It only did this when the cold weather came. Dealer charged 170 fir labor,fuel and stanadyne fuel treatment. The last time this happened was in july and it has not done it since. Now the cold weather is here and it is back. Like i said i pumped out the tank and put in fresh diesel with the same results. Here is the Youtube video link

QUOTE=Coyote machine;4299275]What was the $170 for exactly? What did your dealer do, and did it stop the blue smoke issue?

One other thing you ought to do to prevent possible engine damage is check your oil level carefully, daily until the problem is corrected. It is possible raw unburned fuel is making it's way to your crankcase/oil pan and diluting your oil as a result. This could have negative consequences for your rings, etc. if fuel IS making it's way through the engine instead of being burned. Try smelling the oil on the dipstick, and see if the level is creeping up the dipstick over time. If there is any fuel smell in the oil you'll need to change it and the oil filter to prevent dilution and possible damage to internal engine parts.
[/QUOTE]

Good video. It sure looks like a misfire from a pissing injector to me. You can watch the pulsing of the smoke from the exhaust pipe. As it starts to clear up it still spits occasionally.
That's my best bet. Seems the glow plugs are working from what you described.
I am confused about when this issue has been present. You said it happened in July too? That might explain why, if it's an intermittent injector why it occurs at various times including hot weather when cold start issues like glow plugs are largely irrelevant.
I'd pull all injectors and have them pop tested for spray pattern and opening pressure. Especially now, when the problem is present.
One injector could be acting rogue on it's own timetable. Testing them will tell you if they are the problem. Any qualified diesel shop can test them- they don't necessarily have to go to your dealer. Just note which came from what cylinder when you pull them.