CK 20 handle on fender came off today

/ CK 20 handle on fender came off today #1  

Ranchofla

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20 HST
So to all the other CK 20 owners out there, be aware that this could happen to you too....

Handle.JPG

The other side did this during the summer and a larger washer was placed under to spread the load out and secure the top of the handle.

Rancho...

/ CK 20 handle on fender came off today #2  
Wow| surprised that happened to you. You can grab a hold of a fender on a ck20 and it hardly shakes at all because it is quite solid. That must have had rust bred right into that fender when new.

rim

/ CK 20 handle on fender came off today #3  
If you can get the bolt out of the handle get a couple of big fender washers. Put one on top of the fender and one on bottom reinstall bolt then spray undercoat on the bottom side of the fender.

/ CK 20 handle on fender came off today #4  
Doesn't appear that the tractor has spent much time inside.

/ CK 20 handle on fender came off today
If you can get the bolt out of the handle get a couple of big fender washers. Put one on top of the fender and one on bottom reinstall bolt then spray undercoat on the bottom side of the fender.

I put a combination of washers on the bottom (did not look rusted on bottom) after cleaning and priming the rusted area on top. Appears to me that the rust started on top of fender as water runs down the fender and gets trapped under the rubber handle. Both sides have done this so I am now good for a few years and since it was a used tractor when I bought it who knows what the previous owner exposed it too.

thanks

Rancho

Doesn't appear that the tractor has spent much time inside.

No it probably has not, as I do not have a place for it to be covered and I am betting the previous owner did not store it inside either. It came to me from South Florida so who knows how close it was to the salt air.

Rancho

/ CK 20 handle on fender came off today #7  
Perfect job for your neighbor with the wire feed snot welder. I'll go you one better and tell you to put a backing plate under it, not just a washer.

/ CK 20 handle on fender came off today #8  
Wow that is rusty. I agree this machine must of been parked outside close to the ocean to get that rusty. I mean Florida don't use salt on their roads cause there is no snow.
how old is this CK20 to be that badly rusted.

Wow that is rusty. I agree this machine must of been parked outside close to the ocean to get that rusty. I mean Florida don't use salt on their roads cause there is no snow.
how old is this CK20 to be that badly rusted.

I am not sure of the age as I have owned it almost 4 years ago. I tried to decipher the serial number but the tag is hard to read. Also the rest of the machine does not really have a lot of rust on it, just under the handles, where rain and moisture can collect. I thing the previous owner did some landscape work as I have a 'rock bucket' and a 'dirt bucket' and the rock bucket has got a few small holes in it from rust...

serial number 2.JPG

Rancho.. oh yeah the lack of snow is one of the reasons I live here..:)

/ CK 20 handle on fender came off today #10  
They must all be like that. Mine has always been in a shed and we have little rust problem where I live. One day I noticed my grip was a bit loose and removed it. I was shocked to see how much rust was under there. It was only about 2 years old at the time.
I cleaned both up and used nickel anti-seize paste in the threads and put new bolts in but I also sealed the base with a sealant when I put the grab handles back on. No further problems and it is about 7 years later.