Coolant smell/coolant loss

/ Coolant smell/coolant loss #1  

joe04785

Silver Member
Tractor
XR3037
Hey everyone, I have a Ck35 which has 45 hours on it and I just noticed that the coolant level has dropped dramatically. I snowblowed 3 driveways and I noticed a coolant smell at idle once I was done the last one. I checked the oil once the tractor was cold and the level is right on. I have not noticed any leaking. Anyone ever seen this. Tractor is still under warranty and will be going back sometime. Just seeing if anyone ran into this before. Thanks

/ Coolant smell/coolant loss #2  
Any chance it is just overflow to the recovery tank and the cap was not sealed preventing drawback into the radiator?

Any signs of a leak?

/ Coolant smell/coolant loss #3  
I have hose clamps that were a little loose from the factory taht allowed them to seep when warm and the system was under pressure. I would suggest looking at all of the hoses carefully.

Found one loose my X540 today where I had been smelling coolant but couldn't find the source.

/ Coolant smell/coolant loss #4  
I have hose clamps that were a little loose from the factory taht allowed them to seep when warm and the system was under pressure. I would suggest looking at all of the hoses carefully.

Found one loose my X540 today where I had been smelling coolant but couldn't find the source.

^^^^^ this

/ Coolant smell/coolant loss #5  
Check the reinforcing threads in the ends of the upper radiator hose and see if they are green. Some of the Kioti OEM hoses seem to be of a poor quality porous rubber that allows the inner rubber to leak into the inner reinforcing layer of the hose causing it to wick out the very ends of the radiator hose. I had to replace mine twice to get a good one. Some guys have found a good Gates replacement one to put on and solve the problem. But if you cannot find a drip check the end of the hoses. You can tighten them until the cows come home and it will not help a bit. I inspected the Original hose under bright light and could not find a thing, I theorize the inner rubber layer is porous.

/ Coolant smell/coolant loss #6  
Check the blend valve for your heater. Mine was leaking and I replaced it once under warranty, it is leaking again. I will cut it out of the system and put in a brass ball valve instead in the spring. Also check the drain tap at the bottom of the rad. It is easy to turn and that could be part of your problem. Every time I go to start mine up I open the hood and visually check the coolant, the oil and belt tension.

/ Coolant smell/coolant loss
Thanks for all the replies. I will be crawling all of it this weekend to double check hoses and fittings. I also noticed a god awful vibration noise coming from under the dash area when I was plowing. Not too sure if the too are connected to together or not. I wouldn't think so, but then again you never know. Where is the blend valve location for the heater? Thanks

/ Coolant smell/coolant loss #8  
Joe, I'm not sure if you have the same coolant overflow set up as my 2012 CK35hst. I have had the same symptoms since new, anti-freeze smell and coolant level going down in the overflow tank. The anti-freeze smell was coming from coolant dripping on the injection pump. The anti-freeze was coming from the slots molded in the male threads on the overflow tank. The coolant is going through a hole in the cap gasket, into a sponge. If the sponge becomes saturated enough and will no longer breath, coolant will be forced from the sponge through a hole in a metal washer into the dome of the cap and out the slots in the tank threads dripping onto pump.
I questioned my dealer about this setup so we opened up some hoods and found 3 different ways of dealing with overflow. One with a hose coming out the center of the cap and one with a hose high on the tank, both were draining below the frame to the ground. And my setup.
I have found that the amount of coolant coming out the cap depends upon how much fluid is in the tank and how much it sloshes. It eventually reached a level low enough that no more fluid comes out the cap. This level is the LOW mark on the tank. So this is where I keep my anti-freeze filled to and just keep an eye on it as with all fluids.
Hope this helps.

image-3002176740.jpg

image-1449198030.jpg

/ Coolant smell/coolant loss #9  
Where is the blend valve location for the heater? Thanks
On my cab it is up on the inner roof on the right, inside the cab. That is where the knob is. The actual valve is between the roof and the roof liner.

Last edited:
   / Coolant smell/coolant loss
Avmcane, I checked to see what kind of setup I had and I noticed that it has a hose coming out of the center cap. I just looked around really quick to see if I noticed any coolant anywhere on the tractor and didn't see anything. Maybe I should leave the coolant at the low level? I will have to go talk to the dealer and see if he has seen anything common with coolant loss. I have not checked the valve as of yet. My project tonight is what I'm thinking.