Self-destructing or ........???

/ Self-destructing or ........??? #1  

mj007

Gold Member
Tractor
2009 Kioti CK20S HST, 1937 Oliver 60 RC, 4 Case VA Series tractors.
I thought that Daedong was trying to establish itself as a 'player' in the U.S. tractor market but the lack of dealer support is reaching 'critical mass', in my opinion. For instance: The dealership that I bought from has been closed for about 3 years SO I entertained the idea of taking it up BUT my building is 'off the beaten track' and doesn't have enough 'exposure' to allow my acquiring a dealership, according to 'corporate' SO I inquired about a 'repair only' franchise as I am acquainted with a young man that is currently working as a 'you bring it, I'll fix it' mechanic and is capable of everything from teardowns to electronic troubleshooting and repair. I have witnessed him fixing everything from Kitoti tractors to skidsteers, bulldozers, logging trucks, etc. You name it. I related this to the Kioti rep that I talked to (with a request to have the fellow and his facility, also out in the country with paved, county road access 'checked out'.} ......... DENIED!. And so any repairs by a dealer will require a 500+ mile roundtrip for me and other owners in the area! If Daedong doesn't change their business model soon they will end up like Long and others - down and out for the count! Why they can't encourage local repair for their products to be available is a question that only 'corporate' can answer, but being 'hung out to dry' after a sale will do little to make them successful in this country. :grumpy:

/ Self-destructing or ........??? #2  
You have that guy and the internet? Why do you need a dealer.

/ Self-destructing or ........??? #3  
If dealer service is not available, you need to find yourself a good local mechanic. I own a Montana tractor, and since they went out of business, there is no dealer support. I am lucky that I have two options for any repairs. A good friend at church is a local John Deere mechanic, and he repairs other brands of tractors on the side. And my brother in law is a car, truck and tractor repair jack of all trades so when he is in town for holidays, I hire him to show me how to do the repair.

Dealer support is over-rated in my opinion. Its great while your car / truck or tractor is under warranty, but after that it is way over priced. My wife's Chevy SUV went in for extended warranty repairs for the fuel gauge, and the dealer said it would cost me $500. I asked how a warranty repair could cost me anything, and they said the fuel gauge was under warranty, but to get at it, they have to remove the fuel pump, and given its age, rust etc, I would have to pay for a new fuel pump since they end up breaking it when they remove it to get at the gauge float. A quick check at local parts stores show the pump has a list price of $500, but all the parts stores sell it for $250.

/ Self-destructing or ........???
You have that guy and the internet? Why do you need a dealer.

I don't ...... but if 'that guy' was recognized as an official Kioti repair mechanic he would have better access to Kioti parts and training.....and Kioti would have a company recognized/recommended repair facility for other owners in the region that they could send them to for service. My purpose in posting was not to complain about any problem with my CK (I have none) as I have my future needs covered by 'that guy and the internet'. My purpose was to maybe spur Daedong into lightening up on some of their corporate policies in order to establish a service group that can take care of business. For example - Why deny a repair shop a franchise or license (and recognition) because of their lack of 'exposure' on a major arterial? Who wouldn't be willing to trade a trip of many miles for a short, local one, even if it consisted of black-topped county roads?

It's not that I don't believe that the Kioti brand is one of the best as far as product goes, it's that I don't want to see them go down the tubes due to mismanagement here in the United States. :cool: