My Poor Battery, warm up period

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #11  
I'm a bit confused by the OP. The glow plugs only heat the pre-chambers. They have NOTHING to do with the oil temp.

If you have commercial power near where you park the tractor, the best solution is a block heater, as previously stated. The block heater will preheat the engine and engine oil making the engine easy to start and reducing engine wear. Remember that much of the engine innards do not marinate in an oil bath; they are lubricated by splash or oil pressure only when the engine is turning. If the tractor has not run in a while most of the oil will drain back into the pan. So there is a huge benefit in heating the block and oil so oil flows quickly to all those bearings and splashes on the cylinder walls.

The situation with hydraulics is completely different because the entire system is covered with oil all the time. So work the cylinders with no load to warm things up a bit and use a premium multi-grade hydro oil (per Kioti spec) but this is (relatively) thin oil and should be no problem.

Going back to your battery, if you have commercial power there, a small, good-quality "battery tender" will extend battery life and give snappy starts, even if the tractor sits un-run for extended periods. The things that kill batteries are deep discharge (especially without prompt recharge), high temperatures, and adding contaminated water.

Last edited:
   / My Poor Battery, warm up period #12  
You should still cycle the loader cylinders, but the more "stuff" you're turning in the transmission/gear case(main shaft and pto shaft), the better

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #13  
We are hovering in around 8 F and the manual recommends 10 - 20 minutes run time at 50% of rated RPM. I like to run it until I am sure all the parts have evenly expanded and the fluids/seals are all warmed up. With the block heater used the pre-heat light doesn't even come on at this temp when starting and the engine sounds a lot better while warming up versus just using the glow plugs.

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #14  
Some Diesel trivia: The Russians have a great deal of experience with Diesel engines at very low temps. It is interesting that Soviet tanks have oil heaters and electric pumps to warm and circulate engine oil before cranking to start. Then, compressed air (vs the electric starter) is the primary way to motor the engine. If I used my DK in a colder climate, I'd have a block heater.

By their basic nature, Diesel engines warm very slowly (compared to gasoline) while idling without a load, which is another argument for the block heater.

Radiator hose heaters are easy to install (compared to a real block heater in a freeze plug hole) but a real block heater can deliver more heat (enough to melt a hose) and block heaters lose less heat through the radiator.

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #15  
IF your battery is strong and fully charged, glowing the plugs to help with cold weather starting is not a problem, in fact it's a necessity. Your glow plugs may not be working properly if you have to go through the process more than twice to get it to start.
A block heater would be best. A battery tender would also help keep the battery fully charged, resulting in quicker starts, and less drain on the battery.

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #16  
Not to highjack the thread but in a similar thought. I had no intention of starting my machine during recent ice storm here in NC but had several trees acrros the road and my chainsaw died. So I decided to use the loader to push them out of the way. I actually read this thread after seeing this....
20160123_120514-1_2.jpg

I really need to get a shed....

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #17  
That is funny. :)
Not laughing at you, but at how "cold" is relative to what we are used to.
Well everything is relative, except you and I.
I come from northern Vermont, near Mt Mansfield. 40 below was a little cold to us around there. I'm retiring to northern Mississippi 40F above is a little cold there.

Not to highjack the thread but in a similar thought. I had no intention of starting my machine during recent ice storm here in NC but had several trees acrros the road and my chainsaw died. So I decided to use the loader to push them out of the way. I actually read this thread after seeing this....
View attachment 454733

I really need to get a shed....
Or at least a tarp.

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #18  
Well everything is relative, except you and I.
I come from northern Vermont, near Mt Mansfield. 40 below was a little cold to us around there. I'm retiring to northern Mississippi 40F above is a little cold there.

Or at least a tarp.

Every time I go to purchase a tarp to cover that other voice keeps telling me that's x% of a shed... I know... I know...

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #19  
Not sure if anyone else has said it but summer diesel in a winter tractor will cause this every time. Get some additive for your fuel to stop it from jelling or getting thick and you will have a lot less trouble in the winter (if you have done this then I can't imagine what the issue is as I have no trouble with my Mahindra in the winter with temps down to -22F -- and some thought Mahindra's had problems until they learned it was the fuel because they shipped with summer fuel to winter climes)

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #20  
Not sure if anyone else has said it but summer diesel in a winter tractor will cause this every time. Get some additive for your fuel to stop it from jelling or getting thick and you will have a lot less trouble in the winter (if you have done this then I can't imagine what the issue is as I have no trouble with my Mahindra in the winter with temps down to -22F -- and some thought Mahindra's had problems until they learned it was the fuel because they shipped with summer fuel to winter climes)

I treat my fuel all winter. Don't know if it's necessary, but I figure it's a small price to pay for peace of mind and maybe better performance and starting.

And a $10 tarp is still better than a snow covered machine.