My Poor Battery, warm up period

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #21  
Not sure if anyone else has said it but summer diesel in a winter tractor will cause this every time. Get some additive for your fuel to stop it from jelling or getting thick and you will have a lot less trouble in the winter (if you have done this then I can't imagine what the issue is as I have no trouble with my Mahindra in the winter with temps down to -22F -- and some thought Mahindra's had problems until they learned it was the fuel because they shipped with summer fuel to winter climes)

I treat my fuel all winter. Don't know if it's necessary, but I figure it's a small price to pay for peace of mind and maybe better performance and starting.

And a $10 tarp is still better than a snow covered machine.

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #22  
A tarp is OK for keeping sun and precip off. But ensure there is plenty of ventilation or the cure will get worse than the disease.

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period
Thanks everyone. Sure glad I asked.The idea of cycling the fluid makes much more sense. Since we've been off grid since 83 I am embarrassed to say I hadn't thought of that. What sort of charge controller do you use and how many watts is your pv pannel?I have some old Arco 35s from back in the day that I don't use but could easily recommission them for this purpose.

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #24  
Every time I go to purchase a tarp to cover that other voice keeps telling me that's x% of a shed... I know... I know...

Even a lean to is better than a tarp if you have something to build it up against.

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #25  
If its really cold, below zero, I reconsider why I'm even going outside. Anyhow, at really cold temps, -20F, the tractor starts right up and I let it sit & run at around 1500 rpm until the temp gauge is up to normal op temps. During this time I will activate the PTO and cycle all the hydraulics. In the 34 years here, I've operated the tractor at really cold temps less that half a dozen times. I can usually justify, wait until tomorrow when its warmer. Being retired provides those options.

/ My Poor Battery, warm up period #26  
I'm sure I will get myself some negative feedback with this but my tractor gets plugged in if it's somewhere below -18C other than that I just glow plug it. Where I do things that might get me in trouble is once it has been running 30sec or a min I make sure it's in neutral then slowly press in the forward pedal and set the cruise control. I idle it up a couple hundred rpm and let it sit that way for 15-20 min to warm up, this way the hydrostatic is turning and warming the oil as well as putting a slight load on the engine to warm it up.