Starting Problem - Kioti CK27H

/ Starting Problem - Kioti CK27H #1  

kidkioti

Bronze Member
Purchased the CK27H New in Spring 2011 less than 400 hrs. Have a starting problem. Turn the key on until the pre-heating light goes out. Pedal is depressed & key is turned to start position. When turned on, I get a groan from the solenoid or starter but the engine does not turn over. I've have an instant Shumacher power pack I used to jump it. I get the same result.

We just had a major snow storm so I was counting on the unit to come to the rescue. I don't like to do this but I turned the key on an off a few times and it did finally start. I managed to get the plowing done however, have about a mile to plow, so if it stalled I wouldn't be able to get it to restart. Would like to know how and what I need to do to find the problem? :confused: This senior would appreciate any and all suggestions. Unit is out of warranty! Thank you for taking the time to share. KK

/ Starting Problem - Kioti CK27H #2  
KK: It's too cold to jump into full-blown troubleshooting so start with some fast and easy stuff. Try squirting some WD-40 or (even better) electrical contact cleaner in the key hole of the switch. Do it a few times using that straw thing so the stuff goes into the hole and turn the key full cycle a couple times between sprays. If you have a volt meter, measure the battery voltage before you start, after an unsuccessful start attempt, and (if you have a helper) when you attempt to crank the engine.

There are a lot of unknowns here. How cold was it at the time? Did it start normally up to now? How old is the battery? Did you try to restart it after your work; if so, what happened then?

If the problem persists and you provide more information, someone here will surely help.

/ Starting Problem - Kioti CK27H #3  
If you're using a good jump pack, there should be plenty of power. It could be not enough current isn't getting to the starter or the starter is going bad. Check the ground where it connects to the frame on the right front side. This connection can corrode or rust up limiting current flow. I had to clean mine and used copper antiseize when reconnecting. Check battery cable terminals for corrosion. Also, a few members have had corrosion under the insulation of the battery cables at the terminals that you couldn't see until you removed some of the insulation. The corrosion just eats away at the copper wire and you lose good current flow. Also check and clean the positive cable where it attaches to the starter. Turning the key on and off a few times can make a bad connection arc and finally make a reasonable current flow connection but it won't last for long.

Last edited:
   / Starting Problem - Kioti CK27H #4  
Be certain to clean the ground cable thoroughly both the cable end and frame as the connection needs to be very clean. Took a couple of tries on mine.

/ Starting Problem - Kioti CK27H
UPDATE .... Initially checked battery for voltage as suggested - ( 12.5 V). Then went through the pre-heating process. Switched on key with the same result. THEN sprayed some electronic cleaner into the keyhole of the switch and turned key full cycle a few times. THAN depressed pedal and turned on ignition. VIOLA ..... turned over and started up jusst like it was suppose to do. Hopefully it will continue to do so through the winter.

BTW the ignition switch was replaced some time ago for other switch related issues. Not sure if I should, eventually, have this replaced? Appears that this may be the nature of these Kioti switches .... 2nd one in 5 yrs? Other than that this CK 27H has been a pleasure to own.

Would like to thank those that took the time to read and those that submitted suggestions. Couldn't have done it without you. I'm sure that I should consider and look into going over the battery, as it will be 5 yrs old, the ground, terminals, etc. gone over as suggested. Glad that, for now, it appears that the problem has been resolved for now! KK

CK27H - 2011 w/ 130 Loader

/ Starting Problem - Kioti CK27H #6  
Attaboy, KK! One clever owner suggested that this spray procedure should be considered routine annual maintenance. The electrical part of the switch is very simple (check it out) but it seems to be vulnerable to dirt and moisture (and ice?). The good news is that it is a known issue that is easy to fix.

/ Starting Problem - Kioti CK27H #7  
Thanks for the thread. I am having the same problem on my CK27. I have traced it down to not getting current from the switch to the solenoid. I can jump the solenoid to the postive post on the starter and it starts fine. Only thing left for me to check is the safety switch on the clutch pedal. But now that you have posted this thread i will try the electronic spray into the switch.

The links you posted, as Paul Harvey would say, is the rest of the story. I sort of wondered why the frequency of the switch failures. You & the links bring it to light. Also my first Kioti was a 2007 CK 25 an lo & behold the fuel injector pump failed. It was covered by warranty, but occurred when I needed snow removal. Something about the gear or gears composition, sintered, molded or what have you failed. I may be mistaken-ed but believe this was the issue. Would only start & run far enough to leave me abandoned along the drive a few times.

The link was very nicely presented as I will be monitoring ignition issue closer. Hopefully I will not have any problems with the fuel injector pump on the CK27H. Not sure, if Kioti & dealers were knowledgeable about them an corrected or had them correct the problem?? I traded the CK 25 in and purchased the CK27H. That was In Feb or Mar of 2010. Must of had a senior moment when I posted it 2011. Thank you very much! KK

CK 27 H - Feb/Mar 2010

Very interesting 747! Hope this helps you & others. Keep us posted what you find out. Thanks for your anthology .... Now I know what procedure I would have had to do to get it running if this should reoccur. KK

/ Starting Problem - Kioti CK27H #10  
... Also my first Kioti was a 2007 CK 25 an lo & behold the fuel injector pump failed. It was covered by warranty, but occurred when I needed snow removal. Something about the gear or gears composition, sintered, molded or what have you failed. I may be mistaken-ed but believe this was the issue. Would only start & run far enough to leave me abandoned along the drive a few times. ...

KK: Some 2005-2008 IPs had this problem where gear teeth stripped inside the IP. At first, the only solution from Kioti was a new IP to the tune of $1K, more or less. Subsequently we (the TBN community) found it was very practical to rebuild the IP (or have it rebuilt) for a couple hundred bucks. There is considerable information and history of this issue here. The first TUTORIAL link is especially educational.