DK45S Oil Fill Location

/ DK45S Oil Fill Location #1  

8NAcres

Tractor
Kioti DK45S w/ KL451 Loader 1954 Ford NAA 1948 Ford 8N 1939 Ford 9N
Since my new-to-me 2006 DK45S had 397 hours on the clock I decided this nice sunny 3 day weekend was a perfect time to perform the big 400 hour maintenance on my tractor. Since I am new to Kioti's and I got the tractor with 372 hours, I had never done hydraulic fluid/filter, oil/filter, gas filter, and air filter changes so I got a DK45S Service Manual just to be safe. A few things I will mention for any newbies like myself who just want to be sure not to pour the wrong fluid in the wrong openings...

First off - the hydraulic oil filler location in back has a red plug that has a curved tube coming out of it simply labeled "OIL". Yep, I figured it "had" to mean hydraulic oil, but darn it I wanted verification. So to any other newbies - yes, they mean hydraulic oil. Next, the service manual (for my specific tractor mind you), showed the oil filler location on the left side of the tractor (as sitting in the seat). NOPE - not there. I found the oil filter and dipstick on the RIGHT side, and above the dipstick a small reservoir with a reddish peeling paint plastic cap with absolutely NOTHING labeled on it. I figured it "had" to be the engine oil filler - right? But once again, I spent two hours in the middle of my pasture with wildly fluctuating and vanishing 4G signal trying to validate my suspicions - no luck. Either a) everyone just "knows" this is the oil filler location, b) no one wants to post this question for fear of looking like a newbie, or c) my engine is not the stock DK45S engine as shown in the manual - I opted for option A... So, gutting it up I poured two gallons of Rotella into the little reservoir and low and behold the oil level started coming up on my dipstick. Breath one big sigh of relief that I didn't have to drain the power steering reservoir or something like that...

So - to the next guy standing in the middle of a pasture trying desperately to validate his suspicions on if that little red cap leads to the correct place - your welcome.

Other than having too small of a filter wrench for the hydraulic filter, plus the fact a 800 lb. gorilla must have put it on at the factory, everything else went pretty smooth.