I think i broke something....

/ I think i broke something.... #1  

BigCountry1689

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510 HST, Kubota G1800, Kubota L3830
Tractor: 2015 NX 4510HST 27hrs.

Well today I was working in the pasture cleaning brush with the grapple when I smelled a strong hydraulic fluid smell. I got off to inspect and found out that the diverter for the grapple was leaking. I decided to drive back to the shop and inspect. It turns out that there are 2 small screws, or plugs I'm not sure. But anyways one of them had loosened substantialy. I removed the plug and saw that there was an o-ring that had torn so I replaced it and tightened the screw in. I decided to start the tractor up to see if it had resolved the problem, and it had. Next I figured because of the amount of fluid lost I should check the hydro level, and it was low. So I went in the shop got out 2 gallons of hydro fluid (New Premium hydro fluid from tractor supply) and began slowly adding and checking
the dip stick. Now the tractor was not running, it was on level ground, and the loader was about 2 feet up. When I reached the halfway point I stopped. About this time I decided to get lunch so I went in the house. About 1.5 hours later I come out and start the tractor and it starts up fine. About 10 mins later while driving back to the pasture the grapple just opens on its own. Then the tractor boggs down (under no strain). All the sudden the tractor slows way down and the Rpm's drop like the brake is on. I figure there is a big problem so I turn back to the shop. When I was almost there I hear a pop like a champagne bottle and so I stop the tractor. I get off and look at the back by the 3pt hitch and see were the pop came from. The dipstick for the hydro had shot off and a frothy hydro fluid is shooting out. Now guessing that I must have overfilled the tank, so I got a clean hose and a bucket and took out a large amount of fluid probably 1.5 gallons. This took the fluid back down to halfway on the dipstick(engine running). But the issues still persist if I drive or use the loader the unit just boggs down in all 3 gears. One more thing I forgot to mention was that first thing before I started working I had to put a new cylinder on the loader, I dont know if this makes a difference. It has been a mess and I havn't wanted to even move it. The fluid goes back to clear when it sits but as soon as it warms up it turns frothy again. Now it's of course under warranty but I dont really want to haul it 2.5 hours if avoidable.

Thanks for any insight.

/ I think i broke something.... #2  
EDITED

Check your owner's manual for the HST bleeding procedure. Ask ThreePoint more about it as it seems to me he had a problem with bleeding his system. Also, are you using straight hydro fluid or transmission/hydro fluid?

To me it sounds like you have way too much hydro fluid or the tank line is plugged as I'm trying to explain why a ram would active on its own unless you have wet wires shorting the diverter valve.

Also, did you get all of the old o-ring out and who installed the diverter valve, you or a dealer?

O-ring wise, was the o-ring damaged from assembly? As in o-rings that have something pass through them require some type of assembly lube, normally the fluid that they are sealing against.

Last edited:
   / I think i broke something....
I think it was straight hydraulic fluid, I will check in the morning. I didnt see anything on the shelf that was a combo like that.

Just checked the website yes it was, Premium universal tractor trans hydro/transmission fluid.

/ I think i broke something.... #5  
Yes very curious to see if this is related to the fluid. I too just bought this Traveller Premium Universal Tractor fluid from TSC. Haven't used it yet though. Here is the manufacture information about the fluid I found last night, universaltractorhydraulic.html.
Also, Tractor Hydraulic Fluid Finder states this is the correct stuff to use for other Kioti models.

-Craig

/ I think i broke something.... #6  
Interesting
I am having similar problem where my backhoe dipper stick ram is activating itself to the point my machine loads down but not to the extent of yours rather mine is loading down because mine is hitting relief valve as ram can't move anymore when dipper is fully retracted but trying to retract further as the joystick is moving on its own to the retract position

You sound like that is what may have initially happened as grapple activated itself

Sounds like your setup is a bit more complex than mine though

I wonder if the plugs you messed with by replacing o-ring my have settings that you've got wrong now?

Sorry I can't be of more help as I'm still sorting mine out

Joel

Thank you for the replies so far. I went out this morning to look at it again, mainly because I was up most of the night thinking about, not that I could do anything. I decided to start it up and see if maybe after cooling down that might of changed things. I checked the fluid again and it is just below halfway on the stick, started it up and same crap no get up and go! Only new thing is an error code appeared when starting. I didnt catch it in time to see what it was because I wasnt expecting it. I talked to the wife last night and I am just going to send to the dealer for repair.

/ I think i broke something.... #8  
[snip]

Check your owner's manual for the HST bleeding procedure. Ask ThreePoint more about it as it seems to me he had a problem with bleeding his system. Also, are you using straight hydro fluid or transmission/hydro fluid?

[snip]

BigCountry, don't know if it will help with your current problem, but I'd next try bleeding the HST system. Sure won't hurt. I needed to do it after changing the hydraulic/transmission oil at my 50 hr. service, as I had no loader function until I did. Kioti suggests doing it whenever changing hydro oil, filters, etc. Here is the procedure for the NX series. Easy to do by raising the front axle on jackstands. I didn't bother disconnecting the solenoid, and had no problem.
View attachment NX HST bleed procedure.pdf

Thanks, I wasnt able to open the attachment. Is it in the workshop manual, I bought one with the tractor.

/ I think i broke something.... #10  
Thank you for the replies so far. I went out this morning to look at it again, mainly because I was up most of the night thinking about, not that I could do anything. I decided to start it up and see if maybe after cooling down that might of changed things. I checked the fluid again and it is just below halfway on the stick, started it up and same crap no get up and go! Only new thing is an error code appeared when starting. I didnt catch it in time to see what it was because I wasnt expecting it. I talked to the wife last night and I am just going to send to the dealer for repair.

Shucks. Be sure to tell us what happened once your dealer is able to puzzle through the issue.