Need help sizing a rotary cutter

/ Need help sizing a rotary cutter #1  

Apsterbobed

Silver Member
Tractor
DK40SE HST
Hello all, I am in the market for a rotary cutter and was looking for some sizing opinions. I have a DK40SE HST 32 hp at the pto. Currently I have a landpride RFM1672, 6' finish mower. The finish mower is up for sale. I have talked to a few dealers and a local farmers, most of the dealers say a 6' will be fine. One dealer who I know is also a farmer said 6' was too much and recommended a 5'. The farmer I asked also said 5' but he told me that he had a 7' on a 60hp (engine) and the cutter was too big (tractor was a loaner while his was down). He didn't have any experience with a smaller setup and wasnt sure but thought 6' seemed big. I would like to stay at 6' to clear my tires but don't want to be too underpowered. 90% of what I mow is horse pastures (about 8 acres), we mow them once a month give or take, 12 to 18 inches cut down to 6ish inches (highest caster setting). The remaining mowing will be our woods trails. Mostly grass and the encroaching forest (small saplings). I don't plan on mowing brush, just keeping the trails open. I wanted opinions from people with a similar sized tractor, thanks in advance.

/ Need help sizing a rotary cutter #2  
6' would be fine IMO.
I run a 6' King Kutter standard duty cutter on my DK 35 and it handles it fine.
Also runs a 7' rear finish mower no problem.

/ Need help sizing a rotary cutter
That's good to hear, the mower I have been looking it is the woods BB72X. The best price I have gotten so far is $2300 not including tax.

/ Need help sizing a rotary cutter #4  
Im thinking you should stay with a 5' as far as the woods brand goes.They are very heavy cutters to begin with.Word to the wise if you purchase a woods and do a lot of mowing.Weld plates from the frame to the deck underneath the bushog before use.If you dont and you hit something the blades will deflect and cut the frame in half(i know this from experience)

/ Need help sizing a rotary cutter #5  
Im thinking you should stay with a 5' as far as the woods brand goes.They are very heavy cutters to begin with.Word to the wise if you purchase a woods and do a lot of mowing.Weld plates from the frame to the deck underneath the bushog before use.If you dont and you hit something the blades will deflect and cut the frame in half(i know this from experience)
According to Woods the BB72x weighs 804 lbs.Product Details
I wouldn't be afraid to run that on my DK 35.
The 6' King Kutter I'm running on a DK 35 now weighs around 700 lbs if I remember right. I don't think my 35 HP tractor would have an issue with an 800lb mower.

This is interesting to hear! I will keep that in mind. Would you recommend a 6' in a different brand?

According to Woods the
BB72x weighs 804 lbs.Product Details
I wouldn't be afraid to run that on my DK 35.
The 6' King Kutter I'm running on a DK 35 now weighs around 700 lbs if I remember right. I don't think my 35 HP tractor would have an issue with an 800lb mower.

I'm not overly concerned with the overall weight of the cutter, it's more if I have the HP to spin the weight of the blades and stump jumper and still have enough HP left to cut while moving at a reasonable speed.

/ Need help sizing a rotary cutter #7  
Since your tractor is hydrostatic, I don't think the difference between a 5 and 6 foot will matter. You'll have power to spin either. You can get the 5' and mow a little faster (ground speed that is), or you can get the 6' and mow a little slower, but cut a wider pass each time. Personally, I'd choose the slower ground speed because it will be more enjoyable for the operator.

/ Need help sizing a rotary cutter #8  
I'm not overly concerned with the overall weight of the cutter, it's more if I have the HP to spin the weight of the blades and stump jumper and still have enough HP left to cut while moving at a reasonable speed.
Your original post doesn't sound like you are cutting anything that power will be an issue with the 6'er.

/ Need help sizing a rotary cutter #9  
I think you'll be fine with a BB72. I run my BB720X at reduced power because I don't need to use full throttle and my cutter is heavier.

That's what I had thought originally (having enough power for a 6') but after a few people told me go 5 I thought I should ask here. I currently have a 6' finish mower and most of the time I have no problems cutting the pastures, there are a few spots I have to go slow where it grows 2x as fast as the majority of our land. What I don't know is what requires more HP to do the same job at the same speed, the finish mower or the rotary cutter?

Eric, that's good to hear.