belt squeal

/ belt squeal #1  

Gittyup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739
Tractor just had a full service and going over. I just changed all fluids, and oil, hydraulic, gas, and air filters. Lubricated all moving joints with fluid film, and greased every zerk good. After getting rid of that after market filter that cost me so much time and money, I've been working my Kioti pretty hard. Here lately the belt has started to squeal a bit, especially after warming up good. I tightened it yesterday by moving the alternator. Now the alternator is as far out as it can go. No squeal today, but belt still feels loose to me. I ordered a new belt today (original is 10 years old now). Just wondering if there is something else that might be causing it, or another tensioning method. Tractor is running flawlessly. Temp always between the dots. Easy starts on strong battery. Strong hydraulics. All seems well.... but the intermittent squeal.

/ belt squeal #2  
Given the age of the belt without seeing it's condition I'd say replacing it sounds like a good idea. How many hours on it? Once replaced you'll easily tell if it's different - assuming the old one was stretched then with the new belt installed the alternator won't be all the way over and there will be plenty of adjustment still. And hopefully no more squeal! :)

E.

/ belt squeal
Hours are 650.

/ belt squeal #4  
I know that you can buy a spray-on belt 'grip' product... but I reckon it's only delaying the inevitable.

Sounds like you've done everything you could regarding belt tension. I'd purchase a new one, at the very least you'll have a 'spare' handy.

/ belt squeal #5  
If your old belt is 10 years old, I am sure the new belt will take care of the squeal :dance1:

/ belt squeal #6  
My belt did about the same. 10 years and @700 hours, then no more adjustment left. No other way to adjust than the alternator. The alignment of the alternator, water pump, and crank pulley on mine is good so no extra wear there. If the belt was a little wider it may hold up better but it is what it is and I guess 10 years isn't to bad.

/ belt squeal
My belt did about the same. 10 years and @700 hours, then no more adjustment left. No other way to adjust than the alternator. The alignment of the alternator, water pump, and crank pulley on mine is good so no extra wear there. If the belt was a little wider it may hold up better but it is what it is and I guess 10 years isn't to bad.

Good to know Vic. Thanks.

/ belt squeal #8  
Squeal will only get worse if there is not more tension adjustment. Remember, every squeal is rubber being rubbed off the belt. The belt gets narrower and rides deeper into the pulleys.

/ belt squeal
After tightening the belt, the squeal went away. But, I knew I was on borrowed time. So, I changed it today. Pretty easy. No issues so far. I'll keep the old one as an emergency standby.

/ belt squeal #10  
My 2 year old Boomer 20 with about 130 hours never squeals when starting or running but always squeals on shutdown. It has done this from new. I checked the belt today and it seems nice and snug. Any other folks experience this?