Best way to get fuel smell out of fuel container caution possible unpopular thoughts

/ Best way to get fuel smell out of fuel container caution possible unpopular thoughts #1  

ron45

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054XS
`besides dropping a flair inside...

I bought some very near worthless jerry cans and need to return them. If the Jerries had had these cans as their only fuel cans we'd have gotten everyone back here to begin the baby boom a few years earlier. The seller expects there to be no fuel smell in the returning cans. I could hear the smirk on the guy's face and he read me the list of demands.

Why are these cans worthless? Because the parts you rely on can't do their job. The little locking rod would need sand blasting to get enough of the O.D. paint of it so it could fit thru the intended hole. The spout is very narrow and it takes forever to empty five gallons into the tank. You do not want to be standing with on foot on each side of the FEL supports, bent over, and trying to hold on to the bottom edge... Actually there isn't one. There is a curve on the bottom rear edge but it would never qualify as a useful purchase for the 40 lbs of fuel in there. OK, maybe it's 35. I used to have two real ones in my `60 land rover and they were very useful.

Can't wait to dump these back in the lap of the puchaser for that `sportsman's purveyor' of all things polyester. I love the warnings on some of the clothing. "Caution this material may fuse" They leave out the "to you skin while it's burning"part.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but it does not seem `sporting' to use digital recording equipment to track the critters movement patterns , digital samples of the calls of the intended prey and infra red scopes to line up the cross hairs while waiting for the sun to creep over the horrizon.

I can see where this type of hunting is going..... You wait at the bar with your 50 caliber, laser sighted/aimed sniper rifle, and the fish and game people drive them in thru the front door and out the back to the alley...... that is fenced on both ends.

Maybe this could be a new literary genre wiseass Scilence Friction. It's not my intent to anger you guys who been so generous with your help. Think of it as exaggeration to make a weak point. I must also note. I have gotten some good service out of some of the military surplus COTTON clothing I've gotten from these guys.

It just seems that they are attempting, via their marketing practices to turn what used to be hunting into a leisure sport. Oh yea, I left out the talk abouts, gps units and four wheelers. Here's another way it could go....Those same fictitious game and fish guys fly over the wilderness area and drop millions of velcro hook beepers on the game and you could send your drones to make the kill from the bar and avoid the all carnage in the isles. Yea that's it.

So..... is there anyone left who will share their fuel container cleaning secrets?

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Best way to get fuel smell out of fuel container caution possible unpopular thoughts #2  
steam!

/ Best way to get fuel smell out of fuel container caution possible unpopular thoughts #3  
`besides dropping a flair inside...

I bought some very near worthless jerry cans and need to return them. If the Jerries had had these cans as their only fuel cans we'd have gotten everyone back here to begin the baby boom a few years earlier. The seller expects there to be no fuel smell in the returning cans. I could hear the smirk on the guy's face and he read me the list of demands.

Why are these cans worthless? Because the parts you rely on can't do their job. The little locking rod would need sand blasting to get enough of the O.D. paint of it so it could fit thru the intended hole. The spout is very narrow and it takes forever to empty five gallons into the tank. You do not want to be standing with on foot on each side of the FEL supports, bent over, and trying to hold on to the bottom edge... Actually there isn't one. There is a curve on the bottom rear edge but it would never qualify as a useful purchase for the 40 lbs of fuel in there. OK, maybe it's 35. I used to have two real ones in my `60 land rover and they were very useful.

Can't wait to dump these back in the lap of the puchaser for that `sportsman's purveyor' of all things polyester. I love the warnings on some of the clothing. "Caution this material may fuse" They leave out the "to you skin while it's burning"part.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but it does not seem `sporting' to use digital recording equipment to track the critters movement patterns , digital samples of the calls of the intended prey and infra red scopes to line up the cross hairs while waiting for the sun to creep over the horrizon.

I can see where this type of hunting is going..... You wait at the bar with your 50 caliber, laser sighted/aimed sniper rifle, and the fish and game people drive them in thru the front door and out the back to the alley...... that is fenced on both ends.

Maybe this could be a new literary genre wiseass Scilence Friction. It's not my intent to anger you guys who been so generous with your help. Think of it as exaggeration to make a weak point. I must also note. I have gotten some good service out of some of the military surplus COTTON clothing I've gotten from these guys.

It just seems that they are attempting, via their marketing practices to turn what used to be hunting into a leisure sport. Oh yea, I left out the talk abouts, gps units and four wheelers. Here's another way it could go....Those same fictitious game and fish guys fly over the wilderness area and drop millions of velcro hook beepers on the game and you could send your drones to make the kill from the bar and avoid the all carnage in the isles. Yea that's it.

So..... is there anyone left who will share their fuel container cleaning secrets?

Ron

I just saw them use some sort of gas tank treatment stuff to remove the fumes and gas smell from a gas tank before they worked on it on one of the Powernation TV shows this past Saturday. I forgot what it was but you could probably search it out. I think the stuff they were using was in a gallon can or jug. I think it was either Detroit Muscle or Truck Tech, could have been Truck Tech, don't think it was Horsepower or Extreme 4X4. It could have been the C10 project.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Best way to get fuel smell out of fuel container caution possible unpopular thoughts #4  
Por 15 marine clean.

/ Best way to get fuel smell out of fuel container caution possible unpopular thoughts #5  
If the "cans" are plastic, the fuel has diffused into the plastic and you need air flow and time to get it out. Heat will speed up the out-diffusion, but it is still going to take a long time.

I think you are going about this the wrong way. If I wanted to return something because I had changed my mind on it, the seller would have every right to expect that it should be unused and in new condition. That is not the case here. You are returning them because they are defective. You used them and discovered that they are defective. The seller is not going to re-sell them, he is going to have to send them back to the factory.

Now there is one other possibility on getting the smell out of them. When I had a plastic ice chest that had held fish for too long in hot weather, we got the odor out by filling it with a strong bleach solution and letting it sit for a few days. Would this work for fuel in a plastic container? I have no idea, but it might be worth a shot.

/ Best way to get fuel smell out of fuel container caution possible unpopular thoughts #6  
If the "cans" are plastic, the fuel has diffused into the plastic and you need air flow and time to get it out. Heat will speed up the out-diffusion, but it is still going to take a long time.

I think you are going about this the wrong way. If I wanted to return something because I had changed my mind on it, the seller would have every right to expect that it should be unused and in new condition. That is not the case here. You are returning them because they are defective. You used them and discovered that they are defective. The seller is not going to re-sell them, he is going to have to send them back to the factory.

Now there is one other possibility on getting the smell out of them. When I had a plastic ice chest that had held fish for too long in hot weather, we got the odor out by filling it with a strong bleach solution and letting it sit for a few days. Would this work for fuel in a plastic container? I have no idea, but it might be worth a shot.

Probably not. The fish smell and the gas are two different chemicals, the bleach really won't work on the gas that's absorbed by the plastic. That's the real issue, plastic absorbs anything and holds it. Soap and water, and sitting in the sun are your best bet.

/ Best way to get fuel smell out of fuel container caution possible unpopular thoughts #7  
I would try a couple rinses with kerosene, then maybe dishwashing detergent in hot water a few times, then let it sit overnight filled to the brim with the soapy water :confused3:

/ Best way to get fuel smell out of fuel container caution possible unpopular thoughts #8  
When you get your money back buy one of these. I did and made my own hose which is long enough to rest the jug on the FEL arm so I don't have to support the entire weight. Just open the air vent slowly until you figure out the right amount so fuel doesn't leak out the vent. :)

You can probably find one cheaper. I just looked for a picture of one. Make sure you don't buy one of those "new" style fuel jugs with the dipstick approved spout. :) The one that you have to depress to allow fuel to flow.

Dirt Bike LC 5 Gallon Jug With Hose | MotoSport

/ Best way to get fuel smell out of fuel container caution possible unpopular thoughts #9  
I have heard that coffee grounds hides the smell of gasoline.

/ Best way to get fuel smell out of fuel container caution possible unpopular thoughts #10  
Metal or plastic? OP really doesn't say.

I'd try ammonia. Ship back with some ammonia and wish you were a mouse on wall of seller when he smells them.

His rants on hunting and polyester? Can't help him?