DS4110 HS Fuel to injection pump then nothing

/ DS4110 HS Fuel to injection pump then nothing #1  

Frenchy22

Tractor
Jd ZT mower
Hi,
Looking into a no start issue on my 4110. (200Hrs on it) Can crank it over & over but never starts.
Was starting fine, someone else used it & re fueled it. They say it never ran out of fuel but I know it was already very low prior to this.
Next start was difficult. Took me about 30 minutes of messing with fuel lines, pecock, air filter, relays, was just kinda checking everything. I think I had the fuel turned off, cranking, then back to on and she fired.
Used it for an hour, seemed fine. now no start again.
Fuel line to pump has fuel but cracking line open after pump shows no sign of fuel.
To bleed it I need to run tractor with valve set to "air"? What if it won't start?
could the injection pump be gone already?

/ DS4110 HS Fuel to injection pump then nothing #2  
...Fuel line to pump has fuel but cracking line open after pump shows no sign of fuel. ...

Clarify if you are talking about the feed pump or the injection pump (IP). Is the duel filter full?

I have not read of IP failures in the newer models (since 2008) but it is easy to check by removing the oil fill plate.

Have you checked the glow plugs? No glow would be consistent with "very hard to start but runs fine once warm."

/ DS4110 HS Fuel to injection pump then nothing
Sorry, meant the IP.
Fuel filter housing is full. I can loosen off the bleeder bolt (#8 in attached pic), crank engine and fuel comes out.
ds4110fuel.png

/ DS4110 HS Fuel to injection pump then nothing #4  
Don't jump to conclusions about the injection pump. You already stated you lent it to someone when it was low on fuel. You're likely sucking air and it can't run on air, obviously. Running the system low enough to starve for fuel could suck up junk at the bottom of the tank and clog the lift pump screen, or the fuel filter.
Report back exact details of what pump you are referring to having taken the line off of, etc., so we can better understand what exactly is going on. And for future reference either don't loan it out or do so when the tank is not at near empty. Best practice to keep it at 1/2 full or more to not run in to this type of avoidable problem.

/ DS4110 HS Fuel to injection pump then nothing #5  
You can try cracking one of the nuts where one of the hard fuel lines connect to an injector. Then have someone crank the engine while you look to see if any fuel comes out at the lose nut. Small pulses of fuel should come out every two revs but only when the engine is cranked. That should help confirm or rule out a fuel problem.

The fact it runs OK once started implies you don't have fuel problem. If you have (or can get) a volt meter, test to see if the glow plugs have voltage when the key is in the glow position and the glow light is on.

I didn't really loan it out. My dad was over doing some work, used it for a few minutes. Noticed it was almost out of fuel so he filled it up.. He said it started fine and it started fine previous time I'd used it.
Just mentioned that because I can't be certain exactly how low fuel level was. (Low or sputtering on fumes low)
Fuel is getting to the IP bleeder.

Fuel line at injector is open and dry after cranking.
It seems like a fluke it started last time. That was the only time it started since we refuelled it last weekend. That was a hard start, now it's a no start. Battery drained, re charging now.

I loosened off the engine stop solenoid as far back as it could go without removal, now it exhausts when cranking over. Just not quite enough fuel to start it up.
Think I've found the problem.
30A fuse looks good but replaced it with spare. I'll have to test or replace solenoid I think.

/ DS4110 HS Fuel to injection pump then nothing #9  
About the stop solenoid: Can you hear a distinct (and fairly loud) clank when you turn the key from off to on? Can you hear it again when you turn the key back to off? Those are the sounds of a functioning stop solenoid.

The ground path for the stop solenoid is through the engine block; so the solenoid probably won't work unless it is firmly bolted in place.

If the stop solenoid isn't working, the problem is more likely a fuse, relay, or the display unit (which provides the "pull" signal). The actual stop solenoid has been OK in similar cases reported here,

No clank noise from solenoid.
I swapped out the starter relay & engine stop relay and now all is well. Strange.