Kioti ECU software update notice?

/ Kioti ECU software update notice? #1  

Threepoint

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2150HST w/ LA350 loader, Kubota GF1800 HST, Kioti CK3510SE HST w/ KL4030 loader, Kioti NX4510HST/cab w/ KL6010 loader
Just received a notification from Kioti corporate that they are conducting a software update on the ECU of my tractor (NX4510HST Cab, delivered early 2014). Says the update will take less than 30 minutes, and will be done by the dealer, on-site at my location, and at Kioti's expense. (That's a 200 mile round trip for the tech!). Says this is essential in complying with the emissions standards set by the U.S. EPA. Also: "If the software is not updated, the tractor could potentially fail an emission inspection test, if required by your state".

I've spoken with product support at Kioti corporate and was assured that my tractor meets all final Tier 4 emissions requirements. Far as I know, Virginia has no emission inspection requirement for farm equipment to begin with, and there certainly hasn't been anything new that would reach backwards to a prior purchase even if that were to change. I didn't think to ask, but since the tractor is already compliant with applicable emissions requirements, I'm now wondering if perhaps this update is merely to correct a software glitch that may produce a false "fail" if testing ever were to be done.

Hmm. Anyone know more about this? I plan to talk with my dealer about it tomorrow. I've never had a lick of trouble with my tractor in nearly 180 hrs. Not a lot of hrs., but when I'm using it I usually work it hard under load at full throttle. Only one regen in that whole time that I know of, and I'm not even certain of that one! I've always figured it was because of how I happen to use the tractor.

/ Kioti ECU software update notice? #2  
I got the same notice and my state doesn't test tractors either.

/ Kioti ECU software update notice? #3  
Yep got one as well. I am thinking that next trip to the store will get updated not going to make a special trip to haul it to them!!

/ Kioti ECU software update notice?
As I understand it, the tech will come to you with a laptop, if you prefer. Kioti will compensate the dealer. What I'm wondering is whether the upgrade is actually necessary in my case. And, I suppose, whether there is any potential downside in terms of operation. I'm so happy with the tractor now, I'd rather not fix what ain't broke. :)

/ Kioti ECU software update notice? #6  
I've not received anything yet, but may not, I may have the new update already. I had the tractor into the dealer a month ago due to a smoking / regen issue, if i remember right they had to reflash the computer then. I've got around 240 hrs on mine in a year and it's regenerate several times.

/ Kioti ECU software update notice? #7  
Does it smoke after sex?! If so, it's probably good to go.:laughing:
If it has a Bosch injection pump, it may have a VW chip from a Tourag diesel hidden in the matrix.:confused3:

Hard to know whether the update is to CYA for Kioti, or to meet compliance for your model; either way, it isn't likely to hurt your tractor by bringing it up to speed. This is the way of most all electronically controlled ECUs these days, cars, boats, and now tractors. Tractors, at least in the CUT models, unlike their bigger more complicated cousins, were likely last to the game because of their prior to Tier four mandate, less complicated controls overall.

You could wait a while to see what folks who do the update report as to outcomes. Might start a new thread asking for reports on that specific data for benefit of all affected tractors....

/ Kioti ECU software update notice? #8  
I'll be interested to see how this unfolds. I've got less than 70 hours on mine.

/ Kioti ECU software update notice? #9  
A few years ago Ford had an ECM update for their Super Duty Diesels for emissions and according to some folks it killed the fuel mileage.

Fred

/ Kioti ECU software update notice?
Hope to know more later today, when I've connected with the right person at the dealer.