Removing injection pump on 08 dk 40 se

/ Removing injection pump on 08 dk 40 se #1  

Baranx4

Gold Member
Have a dead pump and was wondering it there are any surprises when removing the pump. Planning on pulling it tomorrow. Searched but didn't find anything

/ Removing injection pump on 08 dk 40 se #2  
The sticky post at the top of this forum includes this link to a synopsis of many IP failures reported here. Of special note is the link to neches tutorial which provides comprehensive words and photos explaining the guts and operation of the IP, including teardown and rebuild.

Actual IP removal and replacement is covered in the service manual.

/ Removing injection pump on 08 dk 40 se
So that little part on the top is the whole injection pump

/ Removing injection pump on 08 dk 40 se #4  
Without a photo or diagram, I'm not sure what you mean by "the little part". Have you reviewed the photos on neches tutorial?

The IP is the thing with the hard lines (to the injectors) attached at the top. You remove these lines first and then unbolt the IP from the block. Then the IP lifts up out of the block; but first you need to remove the stop solenoid (front) and the pre-load spring assembly (back) so avoid interference. Don't change the adjustment of the rear preload spring assembly. There is a plastic cone between the IP and the SS; you don't want that to fall down inside the engine. You also want to center the rack (if possible) or it can hang on the front or back edge of the opening if it's sticking out. Don't lost the shims that go between the IP and the engine block. IP timing is established bu these shims.

Thanks pulled it out. Has to remove the manifold.
The pics and info helped with neches.

Thanks

/ Removing injection pump on 08 dk 40 se #6  
By the way, why are you removing the IP? What's wrong with it?

Another failure, had conastoga diesel rebuild it. While I was there a guy showed up with his dedong failed pump that was in his bobcat. The guys at conastoga are good to work with. Recommend them.

I want to replace the plunger that's on the front of the pump. Had it stick in the past. Does anyone have the part number. I'm at work and can't search right now.

/ Removing injection pump on 08 dk 40 se #8  
...I want to replace the plunger that's on the front of the pump. Had it stick in the past. Does anyone have the part number. I'm at work and can't search right now.

You might want to discuss that with conastoga. The plungers and the bores are generally matched sets and the IP may need to be recalibrated after a part swap (other than gears).