Rotella T6 5W-40W for use from summer to winter???

/ Rotella T6 5W-40W for use from summer to winter??? #1  

DOCatRU

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK 30 (2008, gear drive, 415 hours)
Folks:

I am changing fluids on a new-to-me CK 30 (415) hours. I anticipate that we will not put more than 100 hours on the tractor before next summer, so the engine oil will be in there from summer through winter.

We live in central Vermont where the temperature range will be from the 80's (now) to below zero in the winter. The tractor will live in an unheated outdoor shed. It will be used for moving firewood on pallets, loader and rototiller work prepping garden, plowing snow.

I do not know what oil was used in the tractor engine by the previous owner who lived in southern New Hampshire.

Does it make sense to use Rotella T6 5W-40W to cover the temperature extremes?

Thanks,

DOC

/ Rotella T6 5W-40W for use from summer to winter??? #2  
Makes good sense, I know some people using mobil 1 turbo diesel truck or delvac. I think I will try mobil 1.

/ Rotella T6 5W-40W for use from summer to winter??? #3  
Makes perfect sense. I hope you will run it enough to get the oil up to temperature when you do run it, and make sure you keep the fuel from going stale. If it really will sit for long periods, you should stabilize the fuel with some power service or other cetane boost/anti-algae product. Enjoy!

/ Rotella T6 5W-40W for use from summer to winter??? #4  
5w-40 will cover the temp extremes better than the other vendor recommended oils, just make sure it fits the API service classification recommended by the manufacturer. BTW- you can always use what the manufacturer recommends and never go wrong...

I have several tractors which results in none of them getting enough hours during the year to change the oil based on hours, so I change the oil every October to stay on a schedule. I use whatever 5w-40 is on sale when I buy. The only one that gets "conventional" oil is one that leaks a lot from the rear seal. It almost changes the oil over a year period by a feed and bleed method :).

Just bought a Bobcat T770, and noticed that the dealer had Bobcat branded 5w-40 on sale for 19.99 gal. May have to stock up. I found Delvac on sale at Walmart for 17.99 in the spring and bought several cases.

/ Rotella T6 5W-40W for use from summer to winter??? #5  
I've use the Rotella T6 5W-40 year round for the past 11 years in my CK30hst after recommendation by DK35Vince who has a DK35 with @2,000 hours. We have similar temps like you. 80-90 Summer and see single digits in Winter. Mine also sits in an unheated shelter and Winter starts are fine even without a block heater. I get mine from Walmart being that it's the least cost here.

/ Rotella T6 5W-40W for use from summer to winter???
Thanks folks......that's what I thought. I appreciate the collective wisdom of the group. It really helps "newbies" like me.

I'm sure I will have other questions in the future.

DOC

/ Rotella T6 5W-40W for use from summer to winter??? #7  
0W-40 year round for many in Canada. Not all 0/40 is created equal..

Simply the best winter option, especially if you punish your diesels by not using the block heater. It's just fine in the summer too. Why not?

/ Rotella T6 5W-40W for use from summer to winter??? #8  
I use T6 5W-40 year round in all my diesels now, and most other small engines. Easier starts in the winter, and plenty of protection in the summer.

/ Rotella T6 5W-40W for use from summer to winter??? #9  
Makes perfect sense, since you cannot get 0w30 diesel rated oil much yet. I've 5w30 in my JD2025R now (free from VW). That's what multigrade oils are all about.

Ralph

/ Rotella T6 5W-40W for use from summer to winter??? #10  
There's 0 weight multigrades all over the place here.

Lots of users of 0/30 and 0/40 in Canada. The difference it makes on cold starts, even over 5 wt multigrade is remarkable.

You could order it from the folks at any bulk station I bet.

Canada knows cold.

Oh; and so does North Dakota, lol.