Seeking Grapple Wisdom

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom
OP here with some interim thoughts.
I did find this TBN thread with lots of info. Especially from Island Tractor,
Looks unanimous that 48 inches is plenty.
I may need to look at Wildcat too.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #12  
I got a 66" tomahawk. I am happy with it, appears well built. And happy I saved quite a bit of money.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #13  
I choose a Land Pride SGC 1560 - single lid grapple. Its definitely a heavy duty grapple and is 60" wide. Its narrower than either the front or rear tread width - so if the tractor will go there - so will the grapple. Without a doubt - its the most used implement I own. Specs list its weight @ 820 pounds.

I chose this HD grapple because I pick & move really big heavy rocks and chunks of large pine trees. I didn't want an implement that would be twisted, tweaked or bent when I used it. Had it 2 1/2 years and never a moments problem.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #14  
I really like my "Quick Claw" by Quick Attach (1-866-428-8224).
It will handle good sized rocks, tree trunks. Loose brush, and doubles as a pretty fair root rake for removing saplings and snags when clearing land areas.
As others have stated, 4' is plenty wide enough for every day work.

B. John

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #15  
We have the Everything Attachments 50" Compact Wicked Root Grapple on our tractor (rated for up to 35 HP) - and love it! It never comes off unless we specifically need the bucket or pallet forks.

For your 45HP you'd need to step up to the "Wicked Root Grapple for Compact Tractors" - There is a Single Lid and Dual Lid version - both available in 54" Width.

As for the argument that heavier is better. I'm on the side that says weight in the grapple is load lost. Better design (with stress analysis) and higher quality steel will give you an equally strong or stronger unit than one that's simply built beefier. Watch some of Teds videos. He deliberately does "bad stuff" in testing just to see what his products will take.

As for the picking up pencils & toothpicks...
Just last night I was mowing (rotary cutter) and ran up on a piece of roofing tin in my path. Quick tilt n pinch with the grapple and I was right back into mowing.

I have a picture on my phone that I will try to upload tonight, I was cleaning up a fallen tree and came upon a roughly 2-3" diameter limb that had been driven into the ground when the tree fell. I cut the main trunk of the tree off of it & then pinched it between a bottom tooth and the "fang" of the lid and yanked it right out.

Good luck with whatever you pick but I feel that EA is hard to beat for the money.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #16  
Size depends on what your going to primarily do with it. I have a 72" EA on a K6060. I primarily move 12' to 16' logs that are between 8" and 36" round. I move all the slash that comes off them as well. I can, after much practice, pick up slash piles and leave a rake clean surface. It definitely takes practice though. When I first got the grapple I was very frustrated with the ability to pick up slash and wondered if I had made a mistake with this grapple. Then I watched a professional logging crew do it with a 96" on a big bobcat. Its a technique thing, and man this guy was good at it. I watched for about an hour and then went home and practiced...a lot.
The wide grapple also makes root raking faster. For me, and what I do with it, I couldn't see a smaller grapple being as useful.
I can pick up a single <1" stick with mine, again practice and challenges from my 11 year old son. The teeth on the EA line up very nicely, but only at four points.
From a build quality perspective, I am totally satisfied, I abuse the crap out of this grapple and have never tweaked it. Our neighbor bought a "cheaper" grapple that he has had to fix twice. Two bent tines and a busted weld, and his isn't as big as mine. The only issue, and its really a nitpic, I have with mine is the angle of the grease zerts on the rams at the fixed end. Kind of a pain to get any grease gun on. Not EAs fault, its how the holes were drilled in the rams at the ram manufacturer.
I also ran this grapple on my older K4060, but it probably put to much stress on the arms if you picked something big up that was not centered. Didn't bend or tweak anything but you could definitely see it load the arms up unevenly. I would have to put it down and pick it up more towards the CG. The K6060 arms don't flex at all.
Hope that helps from someone who cuts and moves 15-20 big logs a weekend.

Last edited:
   / Seeking Grapple Wisdom #17  
Size depends on what your going to primarily do with it. I have a 72" EA on a K6060. I primarily move 12' to 16' logs that are between 8" and 36" round. I move all the slash that comes off them as well. I can, after much practice, pick up slash piles and leave a rake clean surface. It definitely takes practice though. When I first got the grapple I was very frustrated with the ability to pick up slash and wondered if I had mad a mistake with this grapple. Then I watched a professional logging crew do it with a 96" on a big bobcat. Its a technique thing, and man this guy was good at it. I watched for about an hour and then went home and practiced...a lot.
The wide grapple also makes root raking faster. For me, and what I do with it, I couldn't see a smaller grapple being as useful.
I can pick up a single <1" stick with mine, again practice and challenges from my 11 year old son. The teeth on the EA line up very nicely, but only at four points.
From a build quality perspective, I am totally satisfied, I abuse the crap out of this grapple and have never tweaked it. Our neighbor bought a "cheaper" grapple that he has had to fix twice. Two bent tines and a busted weld, and his isn't as big as mine. The only issue, and its really a nitpic, I have with mine is the angle of the grease zerts on the rams at the fixed end. Kind of a pain to get any grease gun on. Not EAs fault, its how the holes were drilled in the rams at the ram manufacturer.
I also ran this grapple on my older K4060, but it probably put to much stress on the arms if you picked something big up that was not centered. Didn't bend or tweak anything but you could definitely see it load the arms up unevenly. I would have to put it down and pick it up more towards the CG. The K6060 arms don't flex at all.
Hope that helps from someone who cuts and moves 15-20 big logs a weekend.

Bob, you are definitely on the cutting edge of the spear so to speak with a lot of heavy usage. I pickup more rocks than logs with my little EA 50 inch. Practice certainly is key to getting better at handling the grapple. It amazes me with what all we can pick up with one with a few hours of practice.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #18  
Im getting into rocks now. Im pulling apart several stone walls that you just cant get at with a bucket.

/ Seeking Grapple Wisdom #19  
Here we go. Everything from the tips out was in the ground.

0618161335.jpg

And tonight I was doing this same thing pulling up old fence posts.
If you can see it to line up the tips, you can pinch it.