Sea Foam

/ Sea Foam #11  
I would NOT use SeaFoam in any of my diesels: I hang out on top VW TDI forums and folks there unanimously say to NOT use it.

It's not clear what problems you're looking to avoid. Generally one only needs to be concerned with gelling (if operating in cold regions; in areas that offer timely switch-over to #1 diesel this "should' be sufficient in dealing with gelling). Cetane boosters are, IMO, a waste of money: most people don't know what their pump diesel's cetane rating is- why add something if you don't know you need it? adding more cetane doesn't mean "better." Aside from gelling issues, additives targeting lubricity are somewhat non-snake oil; however, manufacturers have already addressed issues of ULSD; folks with older diesels are likely to experience more benefit here (assuming, of course, that what's in the particular additive is proven safe with the fuel that one uses and is in fact effective in the engine that one is being served).

For more on diesel fuels:

http://www.chevronwithtechron.ca/products/documents/Diesel_Fuel_Tech_Review.pdf

/ Sea Foam #12  
I would NOT use SeaFoam in any of my diesels: I hang out on top VW TDI forums and folks there unanimously say to NOT use it.

It's not clear what problems you're looking to avoid. Generally one only needs to be concerned with gelling (if operating in cold regions; in areas that offer timely switch-over to #1 diesel this "should' be sufficient in dealing with gelling). Cetane boosters are, IMO, a waste of money: most people don't know what their pump diesel's cetane rating is- why add something if you don't know you need it? adding more cetane doesn't mean "better." Aside from gelling issues, additives targeting lubricity are somewhat non-snake oil; however, manufacturers have already addressed issues of ULSD; folks with older diesels are likely to experience more benefit here (assuming, of course, that what's in the particular additive is proven safe with the fuel that one uses and is in fact effective in the engine that one is being served).

For more on diesel fuels:

http://www.chevronwithtechron.ca/products/documents/Diesel_Fuel_Tech_Review.pdf

I would add on the Cetane issue, minimum spec is 40. The refinery I work at typically runs with about 50-55 Cetane. Well above the min spec. The process of distillation is not much different at other plants. So short story here, if you are using an additive for Cetane help; it's not needed.

/ Sea Foam #13  
Sea Foam is "supposed" to do all kinds of things. So are a bunch of the additives in the study, that actually lowered the lubricity of ULSD in the tests.

Don't think you can lower lubricity, by adding oil? Read the study. You can.

When you mix different chemicals together, you can get interactions you don't expect.

As I said, don't just assume you will be fine. Make sure the can you have, says it's compatible. Even some products that are compatible now, may not have been when you bought it.

They changed the formula about 5 years ago and doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. Part of the reason small engine shops have moved on to newer treatments like startron, and the b3c products like ethanol shield and mechanic in a bottle type stuff.

/ Sea Foam #14  
I have used Seafoam to try and clean up a carb on occasion but without much success.

I have had good luck using Stabil additive to prevent the gumming de-stabilization of gasoline when in long term storage. I forgot to put it in my riding lawn mower tank one fall and the gas was so deteriorated in the spring that it wouldn't even burn when a match was put to it (small amount poured out on the ground). I had to get my propane torch to heat it enough to get it started and then it smoked like I was burning an old tire. Since then, I have used Stabil double dose each fall when I put away my lawnmowers and they all crank fine in the spring.

/ Sea Foam #15  
I have used Seafoam to try and clean up a carb on occasion but without much success.

I have had good luck using Stabil additive to prevent the gumming de-stabilization of gasoline when in long term storage. I forgot to put it in my riding lawn mower tank one fall and the gas was so deteriorated in the spring that it wouldn't even burn when a match was put to it (small amount poured out on the ground). I had to get my propane torch to heat it enough to get it started and then it smoked like I was burning an old tire. Since then, I have used Stabil double dose each fall when I put away my lawnmowers and they all crank fine in the spring.

I have seen Sea Foam, clear up some serious issues in gas engines.

Rather than rely on anything to protect me all winter in an engine, as far as fuel stabilizer goes, I just run everything out of fuel. Either by draining it, or shut off valve, or simply pinching the hose with a clamp until it stops running, and cranking it until it stops firing.

That has worked every time.

/ Sea Foam #16  
For what it's worth ...

I see that they changed some of the wording on their newer containers, most noticeable is the phrase "INSTANT ACTION" is now "QUICK ACTION".

Older can is on the left in these photos.

Dsc09001.jpg

Dsc09002.jpg

/ Sea Foam #17  

Sea-foam seems to help but I haven't found it to be the miracle cure that some seem to have experienced it to be.

TBS

/ Sea Foam #19  
I never used Sea Foam in Diesels but I do use a biocide, typically Biobor, to prevent microbe growth at the fuel-water boundary and I use Diesel Purge if I suspect injection issues. The biocide is most important if old fuel doesn't get used up, like tractors off season. The Diesel Purge works best full strength (like filling the fuel filter with if when replacing the filter) but my Kioti hasn't needed that treatment.

/ Sea Foam #20  
I've used Schaffer Oil's Nuetra for some years now.........seems to work.